ONTAP Discussions

Active active / cluster / dual controller

nsitps1976

I am very new to netapp so please excuse my basic questions...

Active active and clusters are two independent storage arrays clustered together?

What is the term used for a single array with dual controllers?

I am trying to start basic here so for now I am trying to ignore clusters (two arrays) and just concentrate on a dual controller array (like the stuff I am used to! IBM/equallogic).

In a single array with dual controllers are these controllers active active and do the systems come like this by default?

As the systems I am used to are either active/active or active/passive dual controller I am sure you can see why I am getting confused in netapp world as active/active seems to be two arrays clustered together..???...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

gregb

Our terminology has changed a few times over the years, so the confusion is understandable.

I will start with the Data ONTAP 7.2.x and 7.3.x families. Here we use the term active/active configuration for a single system with two storage controllers. Each controller normally serves its own data. If one controller fails, the partner controller takes over and serves both its own data and the data for the partner. Physically, the two controllers are connected to each other. Each controller also has one or more connections to its own disks and to its partner's disks.

In Data ONTAP 7.1 and earlier releases, this same configuration above was called a cluster.

Unlike some storage vendors, NetApp does not use passive controllers.

Starting with Data ONTAP 8.0 Cluster-Mode, we again use the term cluster. Here is the official definition:

In Data ONTAP 8.x Cluster-Mode, a group of connected nodes (storage systems) that share a global namespace and that you can manage as a single virtual server or multiple virtual servers, providing performance, reliability, and scalability benefits.

Note that we are no longer restricted to a pair of storage controllers. You can scale the Data ONTAP 8 cluster to include more controllers as needed. However all of the controllers are still active and available to serve data.

If you order a storage system with two controllers (there are applications where a single-controller configuration is adequate), the "default" would be that you have an active/active configuration or cluster. However, you need to be sure everything is configured correctly so that the system can fail over between controllers successfully.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Public