ONTAP Discussions

Adding shelf, Disk ownership, assignment and auto aggregate creation?

Sam1945

Trying to add a new shelf of disks to existing cluster.  I've got an issue where I can assign the new shelf of disks to a node with no problems but after assigning the shelf or even the disks one at a time it automatically creates an aggregate (aggr0,aggr1, aggr1(1) ) with those disks. Which sounds good right,  but the aggregate seems to be an aggregate that I can't do anything with. What makes it worse is that CDOT (8.1) doesn't seem to even recognize that aggregate that was automatically created as a true aggregate because It won't even show in the list of aggregates when I run aggregate show. If this were the case I should be able to delete the aggregate and those disks should then show as spares. Basically what I would like to do is simply assign ownership of that shelf to a node and have these disks show up as hot spares so that I can actually do something with the disks (like create an aggregate then from there create volumes/LUNs on that aggregate). This is the way it should work under normal circumstances. Not the case here.

Has anybody ever ran into this issue? Any help would be much appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

aborzenkov
Nothing is created - rather cDOT sees aggregates which had been create on these disks on some other filer. See KB 1013046 for procedure to destroy such aggregates.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

aborzenkov
Nothing is created - rather cDOT sees aggregates which had been create on these disks on some other filer. See KB 1013046 for procedure to destroy such aggregates.

Sam1945

Thank you so much for the response aborzenkov. When I run "node run -node * sysconfig -r" these aggregates don't show as foreign.  Any ideas as to why this may be? Should I still go through the process of trying to delete that aggregate if it is indeed possible?

Sam1945

Actually, I do think they're showing up as foreign it's just a lot of output and I'm just unfamiliar with the format the information is being put in.  Thank you, the information in the KB is what fixed the issue for me.  

Public