ONTAP Discussions

Aggregate extension adding disk drives

danaskazlauskas

Hello,

if I have aggregate made of 13 disks (RAID-DP, RAID group size - 13 disks) and want to add 2 disks to the aggregate, what size of RAID group will I have after extension and how many parity drives?

I am afraid, what these two disks will be assigned as parity disks, because I use not full RAID group for aggregate extension.

Thanks.

BR,

Danas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

thomas_glodde

You can decrease raid size. that new raid group size will be used on expanding/adding raid groups to your aggregate only tho it will NOT shrink EXISTING raid groups.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

thomas_glodde

netapp box will tell you it needs at least 3 disks (to open up a new raid group with 2 parity and 1 data).

you should rise the raidgroup size to 15, then add 2 disks, i think thats what you are trying to do.

btw, in higher ontap versions, the aggr add command will opt to show you a preview of what is happening, be sure to use that preview

danaskazlauskas

Thanks Thomas.

So, as I understand, it quite easy to increase RAID group size in the aggregate - how about decreasing it?

Thanks again.

BR,

Danas

thomas_glodde

You can decrease raid size. that new raid group size will be used on expanding/adding raid groups to your aggregate only tho it will NOT shrink EXISTING raid groups.

danaskazlauskas

Thanks Thomas.

Public