ONTAP Discussions

Any best practices for adding disks to an aggreate

michaeldparker

Hi All,

I just upgraded my FAS3240 to 8.1 to take advantage of the larger maximum aggregate size that 8.1 provides.

On each controller, I currently have 1 - SATA aggr composed of 34 – 2TB disks.  The current aggr is 2 raid groups of 17 disks (15 data/2 Parity).  On each controller, I have 25 -2TB spare drives which I would like to add to the existing aggregates. 

If I added the 25 drives to the existing aggr at the existing raid group size, I’d be adding 1 full raid group of 17 and a partial of 8.  This would then be a total of 4 raid groups (3 full and 1 partial).  What I would rather do is modify my existing raid group size to the max allowable of 20 so that when I add the 25 drives, 3 drives would go to each existing raid group (6 drives) and the remaining 19 would go into a new raid group.  The end result would be 3 raid groups(2 full and 1 partial of 19).  As I said, the latter solution is the one I’d like to go with and I think I’ll be just under the max aggr size.

Which solution would be better or does someone have a better solution?   I don’t want to potentially do something wrong and waste space I could use or worse off make performance worse.  Honestly, I don’t need the new drives added to the exiting aggr for space, but for IOPS so the last thing want is to make it worse.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

scottgelb

That sounds like a good plan and yields well for usable. Going all 20 and a single 19 makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
Public