Community

Announcements
Welcome to the new NetApp Community. Learn how to get started.
dejanliuit
Accepted Solution

Any kind of indication of Ontap 8.1 ETA?

We have to plan this years yearly maintenance for this, normaly done during our low-period (summer break, vacation time) and I'm looking at going straight to Ontap 8.1 if it is released.

I wish to upgrade the aggregates to 64bit inplace as we only have about 25% free space left and I'm hoping that Ontap 8.1 would let us do that.

This would give us compression and this release more space instead of investing into more disk (for a while more or until next budget).

Next maintenance period is during christmas/newyears break when we have low pressure on the system, but by then we will probably be forced to invest into more disk before that.

Is there any kind of indication of when Ontap 8.1 is due? At least what quarter 2011 (if at all during this year)?

ekashpureff

Re: Any kind of indication of Ontap 8.1 ETA?

There's an internal target date, but no public release yet.

I have no indication that 32 to 64 bit aggregate conversion will be a feature.

My clients are waiting on SnapLock Compliance certification.

Don't hold your breath waiting, upgrade to 8.0.1 ...

At your service,

Eugene E. Kashpureff
ekashp@kashpureff.org
Senior Systems Architect / NetApp Certified Instructor
http://www.linkedin.com/in/eugenekashpureff

(P.S. I appreciate points for helpful or correct answers.)

philiparnason

I'm waiting for this as well.  I'm 8.0.1 and the inplace upgrade to 64 bit aggregates is key for me.  Would be nice to have at least a public target date (it was initially end of last year), and if the inplace upgrade will be a feature or not.

Philip

ANDREW_GALLANT

I know I am replying to this post late but my SE tells me that it will be the fall. Earlier this year when I worked at Netapp in Engineering all they were working on was 8.1 code. I also hear that 8.1 will include a online 32 to 64bit migration but I can not confirm that just a roomer that I heard.

randalldavis

Does anyone have any recent info on this topic?

Is there a target release date set yet fo r8.1?

Will it contain a 32 to 64 convert function?

Thanks

Randall

philiparnason

Yes.  I heard they release THIS MONTH!  So sometime in the next 30 days!  Very excited about this.  It will also have the conversion function, but you need disks available to expand with.

baijulal

Note that the initial version will be RC.You might have to wait couple of months more to get the GA version.

kristof_versluys

Data ONTAP 8.1 shall be in RC1 released on 29th of September. The GA is planned for 15/01/2012.

As with regards to the 32 to 64-bit migration. This is indeed a feature which is implemented and shall be integrated.

Also, when you go above the 16Tb limit, an aggregate shall always and automatically be upgraded to 64-bit (if on 8.1 offcourse).

SnapLock Compliance is also included.

bjacobsen

Can you provide any details on what the 32-bit to 64-bit aggr conversion will entail? Is it truly in-place or does it require additional available disks and an aggregate expansion?

scottgelb

It will be by growing over 16tb.. Not in place.

Typos Sent on Blackberry Wireless