ONTAP Discussions

Any way to report on quotas for windows users without entering individual user entries in the quota file?

ravindhar

Want to report on quotas for individual users without entering the users in the quotas file.

6 REPLIES 6

giuliano

If you put a default user quota or user @ tree quota, every user will get that quota, but you will see a line for each user in the output of "quota report".

If you need a quota exception that is different from the default quota rule, then just add a quota entry for that particular user.

This usually takes care of most of the quota users, especially if they all need the same quota configuration.

ravindhar

Thanks for your reply, I have already configured exactly as you said but i can't find the desired results below is the output.

rdfile /etc/quotas
#Auto-generated by setup Wed Feb 16 02:45:37 GMT 2011
* user@/vol/cifs002/users - - - - -

quota report /vol/cifs002/users
                                 K-Bytes             Files
Type       ID    Volume    Tree  Used      Limit     Used    Limit   Quota Specifier
----- -------- -------- -------- --------- --------- ------- ------- ---------------
user  \Adminis  cifs002    users 132983664         -  395792       -

This is what I get if i run quota report on the controller am I missing something here. It does not give individual user limit.

giuliano

The individual quota entries in "quota report" only get created once a user accesses the filesystem in question and creates or modifies any of the data.

Have another user (besides Administrator) access the volume/qtree, and then you should see an entry in quota report.

ravindhar

I am sure that right now shares has been accessed by users other than administrator, but I am still missing that per user reporting. I have got no clue why I can't see the report even though everything looks to be configured correctly. 

Thanks for your reply.

ravindhar

Just to add some information,

Under the share " users" we have multiple folders for individual users and every user have exclusive access to their own folders.

The scenario is we are setting quota reporting on the share "users" which contains multiple subfolders and the users can create files under their own subfolders.Users cannot create any folders or files directly under the share "users" is this the reson we can't see any reporting for the users as they are not creating directly under the share "users" rather they create under the subfolders.

ravindhar

Thanks for your help,

Magical touch was turning quotas off and then turn it back on. The reason quotas was enabled before the users started usiing it. So I just reinitialized the quotas by off and on to get the reporting. Thanks to everyobody whoever has replied.

Public