Subscribe

Anyone want to ask me about NetApp 8.0x C-Mode?

happy to dialogue about it

Matt, I'm definitely interested.  We're not ready for C-Mode yet but when we do, I'm interested in whether or not there will be a path from 8 running in 7-mode to move to C-Mode as well as what's needed to put existing storage systems into a C-Mode multiple node cluster.

Today, there is not a "push-button" migration method that takes you automatically from 8.0 7-mode to 8.0 C-mode. However, you are not the first to ask for this capability, which NetApp is well aware of.

I am very excited about C-Mode. It is not brand new. It used to be NetApp's GX product.  Can you believe that you can have as many as 24 controllers clustered together using C-Mode.

Re: Anyone want to ask me about NetApp 8.0x C-Mode?

What is the process of moving from an existing HA-pair from say ONTAP 8.0 to 8.1 C-mode?  Can you point me to any documentation on this?

Hi Don

First question, are you going from 8.0 c-mode to 8.1 c-mode?  Or 8.0 7-mode to 8.1 c-mode?

We are working on another Tech OnTap Users Group meeting on Feb 23rd........ here are the topics! 

Data ONTAP 8.1 Cluster-mode :

The What’s, When’s, How’s and Why’s

Come to this informative Tech OnTap Live event and learn all about NetApp’s Cluster-mode.  Did you know that NetApp Data ONTAP 8 is available in (2) modes, 7-mode and Cluster-mode? Most members of our Users Group use 7-mode, but some members are using "C-Mode" as well.  This TOTL session will allow us to discuss the product at length, understand how it differs from 7-mode, when it is an appropriate option, how one deploys and why it is so versatile as a go forward strategy for mature scale-up, scale-out and immortal storage. And, as always, TOTL is a an opportunity to network with others in the area. Attend and enjoy the food, presentation, the networking and the games

8.0.1P5 to 8.1 c-mode I just want to understand the process involved.

Thanks

Don

Don

I could not see the images you attached.

I am assuming you are going from 8.0.1P5 7-mode to 8.1RC_# C-mode.

This would involve a data migration, especially since 8.1 is still in release candidate mode. 

During the Users Group meeting, we can add this question to the agenda.

Thanks

I've got a single node c-mode sim running in my lab and I can't figure out how to create a simple nfs export. I've read the manuals but the cli and the gui don't seem to give you the option of specifying the volume path you want to export. The vServer has both cifs and nfs and I can create cifs shares no problem. Can someone give me an example cli to export /vol/vol1?

Also, it looks like c-mode doesn't support persistent ACLs or local groups. Is that accurate?

Thanks.

For now to get you over the hurdle of nfs exports is for you to use OnCommand Systems Manager 2.0R1, downloadable from http://now.netapp.com.