ONTAP Discussions

ApplianceWatch for SCOM 2007 in a gateway based Environment

phakesley

Hi, Does anyone have experience/guide on how to get appliancewatch working for a multi tennanted SCOM environment. We are using SCOM gateway's to connect into customer environments but I am unable to get applianceWatch to discover the NetApp devices in the customer domains.

I have SNMP discovered the NetApp filers using SNMP v1 as recommended for version 7.3. But cannot add a controller or controller credentials.

Any ideas, guides much appreciated.

Pete

5 REPLIES 5

watan

Hi Pete,

Officially we haven't tested in multi-node gateway environments and currently only support installs on the Root Management Server.  With that said, I've seen it in other customers sites similar to your config and working with no issues.

If you haven't done so already, you may want to open a ticket with NGS to get the case logged in case it is a product feature problem.

When you SNMP discover the arrays, does the ontap version and other info get populated in the details view of the controllers?

Are you getting an error when adding the storage credentials?  Not able to add?

dragon26z

I have the same Problem.

Tryed to install the ApplianceWatch Software on The Gateway in the Custumer Network, but unfortunately the Program crashes (2008 Server).

I think the ApplianceWatch tries to verify the credentials directly in the local network, and is not using the SCOM Gateway System.

Unfortunately the programm doesnt save the Credentials if there are not validated .

Is there a possibility to change the Credentials directly in the Database ?...

Any help would be apreciated.

Tx

watan

Appwatch shouldn't crash the software. Please open a GSC support ticket if you haven't done so already as we'll need to collect the logs.

To see if its even trying to authenticate with the storage node, check out the messages log via filerview or rdfile the logs.   If its trying to authentice, appwatch will produce logs.

If you don't see anything there, take a look at the Microsoft Event Logs -  one called Operations Manager and ApplianceWatch logs.

dragon26z

Yes it shouldn't but it does... no case has been opened yet

In the ApplianceWatch Log there i can see that it is trying to authenticate but as i said this happens in my network and not in the Customer Network where the filer is.

On the Filer itself there is no authentication attempt cuz AppWatch doesnt use the Gateway system

watan

dragon26z wrote:

Yes it shouldn't but it does... no case has been opened yet

In the ApplianceWatch Log there i can see that it is trying to authenticate but as i said this happens in my network and not in the Customer Network where the filer is.

On the Filer itself there is no authentication attempt cuz AppWatch doesnt use the Gateway system

ApplianceWatch Log there i can see that it is trying to authenticate 

-  Does this mean you're getting authentication errors?

- You should see authentication logs regardless of AppWatch using the gateway SCOM node as it still needs to authenticate. 

As a test to see if its authentication issues, you can try to add the account used in SCOM to the local administrators group on the storage array.

Minimum requirements for user credentials:

User must be in the SCOM administrators group for SCOM and in the local administrators group on the storage.

If user is in the domain admin group and filer is in same domain then nothing else is required.

Public