ONTAP Discussions

Assign disks from an old system

joe_mackey

I'm pretty new to NetApp, and I'm completely stumped. I had 12 disks from a retired system that I tried to add to an existing shelf (the disks are identical in model/size). The old controllers were 7-mode and the new is a Cluster mode 8.3.

The system saw the new disks, showed them as unknown and zeroed, and I was able to assign them to my preferred controller. When I looked at the disk list, I didn't see 12 new spares as I would have expected to. I looked at the details of the disks and they show as beloning to Controller #1 (which I assigned) and aggregate #2 (Controller #1 owns aggregates #1 and #4).  

I thought maybe something went crazy with auto-assign, so I turned off auto-assign, unassigned the disks and started over, but got the exact same results with auto-assign off. So I presume the disks are still assigned to the aggregate from the old system (I cannot verify this, as those controllers are unavilable)?

Is there a way to assign these disks as spares so that I can create a new aggregate or is there some kind of "nuclear option" zeroing process I can do to remove the old system assignment?

Or is this just a support call?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
2 REPLIES 2

joe_mackey

Worked like a charm. Exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

Public