ONTAP Discussions

BACKUP OF CONFIGURATION FILES

NAYABRASOOL

Hello Experts,

I just wanted to know what are the important Netapp configuration files needs to be backed up periodically.

Thanks,

Nayab

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ogra

Just take NetApp Snapshots 🙂

If you are too concerned about the Entire Aggregate. Probably you can use Aggregate level Snapshot to do it.

In general, if you have the /etc then you are covered

But, I'll rely on Snapshots

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

ogra

Just take NetApp Snapshots 🙂

If you are too concerned about the Entire Aggregate. Probably you can use Aggregate level Snapshot to do it.

In general, if you have the /etc then you are covered

But, I'll rely on Snapshots

Noorain02

We have C-Dot and 7-Mode system in our environment.
I want to have configuration files backup on FTP server and will keep those as backup in case filer crash. Also let me know if any best procedure or step which may make it easier for me to have NetApp system configuration files backup on FTP.
Can someone provide solution if any asap.

SeanHatfield

On the clusters, you can use the built in configuration backup/scheduling features to send periodic config backups to an ftp server:

http://docs.netapp.com/ontap-9/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.netapp.doc.dot-cm-sag%2FGUID-2C44ECFC-3C45-4B4D-8304-F8FFF2064F84.html

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

ashley_thrift

Hi Nayab,

As above /etc is what you need, but if you have SnapMirror licensed then I would use that to mirror your vol0 to another location.  In a disk loss scenario, a Snapshot alone is not going to help you.

You can also use the config command (check the man page for it) to create a backup of the most important stuff, which you can store then somewhere else.  At my old company, I used NDMP backups via CommVault to backup all of vol0 to tape.  Also, its not just the config files you want, you may need logs and core dumps for troubleshooting as well.  So again, best solution is mirror the whole root volume.

Cheers!

-Ash-

JITTU2022

I use config command to save the configuration before every update or major change.

config dump [-f] [-v] <config_file>

config restore [-v] <config_file>

scottgelb

All good advice. I use snapshots, mirror, Ndmpcopy and config dump. Multiple methods and all covered by you guys.

Config dump does miss some settings like igroups and Lun mappings. Also has some issues with local groups and assigning no group to local users on config restore. With -v it is useful to get cifs shares. having multiple types of backups is good and config restore can be a big time saver. And having a mirror is always good to restore or mark as root.

NAYABRASOOL

HI Jittu,

May i know where these files will be stored ?? i mean if my filer crashes how im gonna restore it back ??

Thanks,

Nayab

thisisvivek

You can find the backup  under /etc/configs folder

Noorain02

We have C-Dot and 7-Mode system in our environment.
I want to have configuration files backup on FTP server and will keep those as backup in case filer crash. Also let me know if any best procedure or step which may make it easier for me to have NetApp system configuration files backup on FTP.
Can someone provide solution if any asap.

Public