ONTAP Discussions

Backuping up CIFS Shares

JRAYKOWSKI

Hello,

We brought a new FAS-2240 online starting in December and I have been working to move it into production and so far so good.  I have FC LUNs and CIFS Shares up and running in a test production environment and it is working as advertised.  The next hurdle is backups.  I have been reading over come of the posts here and it seems that unless we use NDMP to backup data the only other option would be to present the CIFS Shares as iSCSI LUNs as well to the backup server as new disks and conduct backups that way.

Are there any issues with presenting active CIFS shares as iSCSI LUNS as well?  In most situation all iSCSI activity will take place after roduction hours and it is just being used to copy data for backups purposes.

TIA

Jim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

adrianlowe

Hello Jim,

You might find the following post useful regarding different NDMP backup options:

FAS2220+ Entry Level FAS backup to Tape - Connectivity options (SAS and NDMP) (https://communities.netapp.com/thread/25746)

I hope this is of some use.

Adrian

p.s. CIFS/NFS is file level, iSCSI/FC is block level, the flexvolumes have different properties set for very different reasons. NetApp has great features for providing more efficiency backups using the snapshots & snapvault for D2D backups and then it will allow you to backup to tape more effectively so you don't have to backup to tape in-efficiently on a daily base.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
Public