ONTAP Discussions

Broken? snapmirrors - how to delete them ?

hardy_maxa

Hi all

On my filer, I was doing some backup testing, and now have these snapmirrors showing, which I can't delete

aushafs2b> snapmirror status

Snapmirror is off.

Source                 Destination                  State          Lag        Status

aushafs1b:admin        aushafs2b:admin              Snapmirrored   02:35:19   Idle

aushafs1b:catiax       aushafs2b:catiax             Snapmirrored   10:35:19   Idle

aushafs1b:pdm          aushafs2b:pdm                Snapmirrored   10:05:18   Idle

aushafs1b:zen          aushafs2b:zen                Snapmirrored   09:55:20   Idle

aushafs2b:admin        aushafs2b:NDMP_LOCAL_005614  Source         -          Idle

aushafs2b:images       aushafs2b:NDMP_LOCAL_005617  Source         -          Idle

aushafs2b:domino2_vol  aushafs2b:nrst1a             Source         -          Idle

The first 4 entries are fine - they are my mirrors between systems.

But I want to cleanup the last three.

As far as I can tell, there are no backup or smtape sessions still active.

Thanks,

Hardy

23 REPLIES 23

hardy_maxa

Hi pburcin

I look forward to hearing Netapp's reply.  I havn't gone that far yet - I stopped using the smtape backups partly because of this issue.

pburcin

The official response from support is that these "orphaned" smtape jobs that show up in the snapmirror status list can be removed by using "snapmirror release <volname>  <destination controller:NDMP_local_xxxxxx>".  You WILL receive an error that indicates there is "no release-able destination".  However, the orphaned job that you released DOES get removed from the snapmirror status list.  In my case, I have hundreds of these orphaned smtape jobs to remove across numerous controllers running Data ONTAP 8.1.2x.  So the manual removal process will be tedious.  Basically, that was my reply to support.  There's gotta be a better way to fix this permanently!!!  We should not have to watch this and remove the orphans manually on a regular basis.

So this is not a fix.  It is the way to remove the orphaned smtape jobs from the snapmirror status list only.  I received no admission of a bug found or a fix in process.

JNSTEGEMANOEH

"snapmirror release <volname>  <destination controller:NDMP_local_xxxxxx>"    --->>> Worked a charm, cheers.

Public