ONTAP Discussions

C-Mode NFS Export Policy

davidrnexon

Hi, is anyone else having a strange issue where you create a new volume for NFS, followed by creating a new export policy and not being able to mount the export for about 20-30mins ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

scottgelb

Usually this is because of LS Mirrors of VSROOT.  When you create the volume, the namespace mirrors are not updated until the schedule updates... check snapmirror and confirm then add a step to snapmirror update-ls-set after any namespace changes.  It is likely working after 20-30minutes since you probably have a 30 minute or sooner schedule for those mirrors.  When LS Mirrors are present (best practice to protect the vserver root) then the mirrors don't have the new volume junction path until the update is done.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

sens

Were you able to mount after 20-30 mins?

Did you check if the volume was offline during the period?

scottgelb

Usually this is because of LS Mirrors of VSROOT.  When you create the volume, the namespace mirrors are not updated until the schedule updates... check snapmirror and confirm then add a step to snapmirror update-ls-set after any namespace changes.  It is likely working after 20-30minutes since you probably have a 30 minute or sooner schedule for those mirrors.  When LS Mirrors are present (best practice to protect the vserver root) then the mirrors don't have the new volume junction path until the update is done.

davidrnexon

thanks Scott I believe you are right, we are using LS-Mirrors on all our root drives for vservers. That makes sense, I overlooked that componenet.

scottgelb

Another note is that system manager will show ls mirrors and will even allow you to run the update button, but it won't update (and doesn't give an error unless you check event logs). Only from the cli with snapmirror update or snapmirror update-ls-set.

Sent from my iPhone 5

davidrnexon

haha good tip, thanks Scott, luckily we usually use CLI or Powershell

Public