ONTAP Discussions

C-Mode the future / Questions

nsitps1976

Over the last year I have been hearing that c-mode is the future. Even if you are installing a single HA system then c-mode should be used. Based on this I have begun my learning of c-mode and hopefully will attend the new c-mode ncda admin course at some point soon.

I have few “early” questions.......

1. When you order a system for a client do you specify it should come as a c-mode system (I have seen nothing to suggest this)?
  2. If you have a new (or existing none production) system which is 7-mode, how can this be re-setup as c-mode?
  3. Would snapmirror / srm work between a 7-mode and c-mode system (I think not but not 100% sure)
9 REPLIES 9

scottgelb

Econfig and partneredge allow for cluster-mode as an option. It adds the needed switches as well as nics and licenses. Get a cluster mode cse or SE to help wot sizing. 

To convert 7-mode you first need licenses. Then zero the entire system to take the cluster-mode personality. And 10gbe nics added of not there for the cluster.

Vsm is a ps engagement for NAS volumes. NetApp ps for the one way migration 7-mode to cluster-mode. Not for dr or backup but only for the migration is the support.  San Luns are not supported and the dta2800 is recommended for Lun migration.

nsitps1976

Hi Scott

But what if you were only installing a single HA system which did not necessarily need to be c-mode, however to future proof and have ability to add systems to the "cluster" you decided to go with c-mode??

How would you achieve this?

Regards

scottgelb

I think a lot of customers will end up with 2 node cluster-mode systems for new roll outs and life cycle replacement of gear. Even more next year with 8.2. With 8.1 now there is a lot of interest since even with 2 nodes you get the namespace and ability to move volumes between nodes.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

radek_kubka

Vsm is a ps engagement for NAS volumes. NetApp ps for the one way migration 7-mode to cluster-mode.

Limited, indeed, but still interesting - is there any documentation available about this?

scottgelb

I think the 8.1 cluster mode preso on fieldportal. But need to check again.

scottgelb

Here is the powerpoint on Field Portal.  https://fieldportal.netapp.com/ci_getfile.asp?method=1&uid=5882&docid=37024   The second to last slide titled 7-Mode to Cluster-Mode Transition.  It is a really good presentation...very useful in presenting Cluster-Mode too.  Don't present all slides in one sitting though or hide some

radek_kubka

Wow - that's one, massive slide deck!

The slide in question suggests that NetApp PS engagement is a must for 7-Mode to C-Mode VSM, but maybe it is just about issuing the right command in the diag mode?

scottgelb

VARs with Cluster-Mode experience likely won't have an issue with support...we work closely with the teams though to make sure we won't be stepping on any toes if we do it as our own PS engagement.  Based on the posts on this communities site, a new international VAR called RadekBorzenGelb maybe should do the work

radek_kubka

a new international VAR called RadekBorzenGelb

Smashing - we could cover many geographies!

Public