ONTAP Discussions

Can I create/assign multiple interfaces (in different VLANs) to a single SVM?

joefilla

Hi,

I've been working with 7-mode for years, but we just bought some cDot 9.x FAS 2650 filers. I'm having problems configuring a SVM as I'd like. cDot and SVMs are a big change for me.

We have the same data (volumes) we want to export/serve via NFS/CIFS to clients on multiple VLANs. We don't want to route the NFS traffic (which would also go through a FW in our case), so I've typically created VIFs on a trunked port to multiple VLANs. I'm trying to replicate this on an SVM. I've tried w/o subnets and IP Spaces, but stopped, scratching my head. I then created multiple subnets, broadcast domains and IP spaces with the goal of exporting the SVM's data to multple subnets, but I can't seem assign an IP/Subnet/IPSpace to the SVM where it's already been assigned an IP/Subnet/IPSpace.

Essentially, the volume in an SVM would be availble to interfaces on (let's say) VLAN10, VLAN12, VLAN200. Again, the technical reason to do this is to avoid routing and going through our network team's intervlan firewalls.

Is this even doable in cDot 9.x? If so, can someone provide some pointers?

Thanks in advanced.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SeanHatfield

You don't need a new IP space, just a broadcast domain for each VLAN.  Group the ports appropriately and create a subnet for each broadcast domain.  Then provision lifs for your SVM using those subnets.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

SeanHatfield

You don't need a new IP space, just a broadcast domain for each VLAN.  Group the ports appropriately and create a subnet for each broadcast domain.  Then provision lifs for your SVM using those subnets.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

joefilla

Thanks! That worked.

Public