ONTAP Discussions

Can I create volume flexclone in different aggerigate?

nindermaan

All Folks,

I have a certain requirement.. I have a volume vol1 in aggr1 and I wants to create volume clone in aggr2. Is this possible? Because I have some space crunch in my aggr1 and cone will be available for more time, so that i cant take chance to fill up my snapreserve of vol1 in aggr1. I simply wants to utilize a different aggr for testing of this vol_clone in aggr2.

Cheers

2 REPLIES 2

scottgelb

That can't be done. But you can clone the vol move. Vol move will do a split though and create a full copy on aggr2. But it will all be in the background so it will be as fast as a clone. So as long as enough space to hold the snapshot and growth until the vol move (and clone split in this case) it may be a workable option.

Sent from my iPhone 5

nindermaan

Thanks Scott, I appericiate your prompt response...

But now here whats the difference between vol clone split and vol move?

will vol move will split the clone in another aggr? say aggr2

If I am not wrong vol move is simply required to move a particular volume from one aggr to another.

Also I believe for "vol move" first i have to split the clone (which will happen in the same aggrigate. And I require the same space free in agger. Than only I can run "vol move" to move the cloned volume in other aggerigate..

Cheers

Public