ONTAP Discussions

Can I dynamically rename a lun without downtime?

deygaurab

Hello Folks,

I need to rename a lun,qtree,igroup.. Can I dynamically rename the LUN without any downtime? Please suggest any best practice...

Cheers

Rahul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

scottgelb

It won't affect data access from the host side.  No downtime.  It can also change the path within the volume or qtree as long as in the same volume.. you can lun move from /vol/volt/lun to /vol/volt/qtree/lun for example.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

arunchak

Hi,

You can rename the LUN using lun move command even when it is online:

sin*> lun show /vol/volt/lunt

/vol/volt/lunt             117.7m (123379200)     (r/w, online)  <-------- lun is online

sin*> lun move /vol/volt/lunt /vol/volt/luntRenamed  <-------- lun move, same volume different name.

sin*> lun show /vol/volt/luntRenamed

/vol/volt/luntRenamed      117.7m (123379200)     (r/w, online)  <-------- lun is online

Thanks,

Arun

deygaurab

Thanks for the reply Arun

Will it affect the data if it is done online? The LUN I intend to rename is used as an OS lun

Regards

Rahul

arunchak

Hi,

AFAIK data won't be affected but not sure whether the LUN mapping would be intact. you can do a test with normal LUN before you rename the OS LUN. Just rename a LUN that is mapped and verify the mapping is intact and the LUN is still accessible from OS. If yes, then you should be able to do the same on OS LUN.

Thanks,

Arun

deygaurab

Thanks Arun... when u say mapping.. do u mean the mapping of lun with igroup....?

PS: I will be renaming igroup as well

Regards,Rahul

arunchak

yes, I was meaning the mapping of lun with igroup, which would not change if you just rename the LUN, but its better to check the access from host side.

scottgelb

It won't affect data access from the host side.  No downtime.  It can also change the path within the volume or qtree as long as in the same volume.. you can lun move from /vol/volt/lun to /vol/volt/qtree/lun for example.

deygaurab

Thanks Scott and Arun

Cheers

Rahul

Public