2011-06-17 07:36 AM
I am migrating data from a netapp filer to a windows server in a different country (same domain). I plan to change the name of the new server to the name of the filer when i switch over but I would like to leave the filer on the network in case any files have been missed. The filer is joined to an active directory domain.
Is there a way I can rename the filer (locally and in the domain) without losing data.
Solved! SEE THE SOLUTION
2013-02-19 01:24 AM
Hi, What happens if we use options cifs.netbios.aliases instead of CIFS setup.. while renaming any filer..?
My Intention is to access cifs shares using alias name but not to disturb the actual configuration, the steps i am going to follow are
1) Terminate CIFS shares using CIFS terminate
2) Take a snapshot for Vol0.
3) Change the IP address and hostnames in /etc/rc & /etc/hosts files to have the changes persistent.
4) Create NetBIOS alias on netapp box, to accept the connections via xyg.internet.net.
COMMAND : options cifs.netbios.aliases xyz.internet.net
cifs nbalias load to get the aliasname registered.
5) run CIFS restart ON xyg.internet.net.
Will this help ?