ONTAP Discussions

Can I test DR Mirror failover between my two controllers that are active/active

mdvillanueva

Hello Experts,

I am wondering if it is safe to test DR on a volume that I created in filer1 that has a snapmirror relation to another volume in filer 2. filer1 and filer2 are active/active.

thanks,

Maico

4 REPLIES 4

andrc

That depends on what you mean by "safe" and what your DR test plan is, can you post more details?

mdvillanueva

andrc,

I guess what I mean is that since the two controllers are active/active, not exactly what a DR scenario would be where SiteA would have a controller and SiteB would have another controller that is hosting the DR mirrors.

I plan to create test volumes, one in filer1 and another in filer2 and just establish a snapmirror relationship, then initiate inital sync.to simulate a disaster, perhaps I will offline the volume in filer1?

andrc

That should be fine, I wasn't sure if you meant to create test volumes or to test with volumes that were currently being used

Initialise the mirror relationship, when complete break it to make the destination RW, create shares/exports on the destination volume and then point your clients to the shares/exports on the destination instead of the source.

mdvillanueva

Thanks a lot andrc!

Public