ONTAP Discussions

Can NetApp / NetBackup have product to support OSSV disk to disk backup?

netappmagic

I used to work on Syncsort backup / NetBackup OSSV environment, where OSSV agent can be installed on servers, then snapshots could be takenn on secondary Netapp filer, then from there DNMP off to tapes.

Can NetApp work with NetBackup do the same? if not, what NetApp/Netbackup can provide for the similar backup solutions?

Hope everyone who knows could share your infor. Much appreciated.

10 REPLIES 10

netappmagic

Anybody has such informaiton, please?

radek_kubka

Hi,

There is nothing similar in NetBackup camp matching Syncsort functionality of backing up clients utilising non-NetApp storage to a NetApp SnapVault target.

Symantec product actually utilising NetApp storage called NetBackup Replication Director is about something else - it "integrates and unifies the management and recovery of array-based snapshots and replicated snapshots across the entire backup environment"

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC5191

Regards,
Radek

netappmagic

Hi Radek,

You sonds pretty familiar with NetApp&NetBackup solution. I understand Netbackup could not do the same as SyncSort does.

We are not looking for Replication Director, simply because we don't have the budget. We probably wanted to have a straightforward or more simpler solution to utilize D2D, and then NDMP from Disk to Tape. I understand the 2nd part. We

However, what I could not figure out is how we backup data from hosts to NetApp filer, how could not be configured in NetBackup? I thought people knows NetApp may offer some ideas.

We wanted to utilize tools on our existing NetApp filers, for instance, DeDup function. That's the reason we wanted to use

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

radek_kubka

how we backup data from hosts to NetApp filer

The short answer is - as you would do it using any "dumb" disk target, so you need to install NetBackup agents on hosts for application consistency.

This has nothing in common with Syncsort architecture though.

netappmagic

Hi,

How would data been dumped to the disk, Do you know of the name of NetBackup agents on hosts?

thomas_arpe

Hi ,

OSSV is not a part of SyncSort but a NetApp Product. Therefore: nothing changes ... you install the OSSV-Plugin on the Client-Computer, get the snapshoting towards your NetApp-Filer going, create a NetBackup-NDMP-Policy for that Filer/Volume and you are done.

Hope that helps ...

Kind regards - Tom.

netappmagic

Hi Tom,

Would you please let me know where I can find OSSV-Plugin NetApp product and work with NetBackup? This Plugin agents on hosts would have to work with NetBackup and therefore NB can control the backup, policy and store the information in Catalog.

I am sure that OSSV agent that we had was from SyncSort, not NetApp, although NetApp has its own OSSV implementation. This agent would have to be integrated with the backup software.

We have given up SyncSort, so, I am looking for NetBackup approach...

Thanks,

radek_kubka

Yep, actually very valid point to clear things up.

With Syncsort there is no need to install OSSV agents, as Syncsort agents do this part of the job (tracking block level changes on the host & sending them to NetApp target). On top of that, Syncsort can manage NDMP backups to tape as the final stage of backup.

If we want similar type of solution, but with NetBackup in the mix, then OSSV agents are needed. In this scenario NetBackup does just NDMP dumps to tape, but doesn't  manage and/or catalogue OSSV jobs.

netappmagic

Hi Radek and Tom,

Let's forget about OSSV, as I have concluded that NetApp/NetBackup doesn't have similar thing as SyncSort/NetApp does, so, I have given up on that solution.

Also, we are clear on NDMP dumps.

The thing I am looking for is simply how NetApp filer is integrated with NetBackup, then NB can backup data from hosts to NA filers. In this solution, I can utilize tools on the filer provided by NetApp

radek_kubka

how NetApp filer is integrated with NetBackup

Well, the point is, it isn't integrated - at least as far as the host agent is concerned.

As I already said, you can use "normal" NetBackup host agents for relevant OSes & application, but they have no awareness of advanced NetApp features, snapshots, SnapVault, etc.

Public