ONTAP Discussions

Can OSSV and OFM coexist with Netbackup 6.5 on the same host?

scottgelb

We have seen it working but I haven't seen any matrix for support with other backup vendor agents.  The Best Practices guide mentions using a port other than 10000 for DFM if NetBackup is on the same host which infers it is supported.

However, can product marketing or engineering confirm that OSSV with the OFM add-on is a "supported" configuration that can coexist with NetBackup 6.5 agents?  The solution will ossv the server hourly to a remote site and tape backup via NetBackup will run concurrently.

3 REPLIES 3

bwood

Scott,

I looked for this.  Can you tell me which best practices guide mentions this?  I don't think NBU and OSSV can coexist as they will both be setting/clearing archive bits.  As far as I know they have not been qualified to operate together.

Thanks,

Chris

scottgelb

It was in TR3466 which inferred it was supported (quote below from the TR)

"The NDMP listening port (default of 10000) can be modified during the install or using svconfigurator as well. This information is vital if using an NDMP management tool such as DataFabric Manager. By default the port is 10000. If you have another backup application (e.g., VERITAS NetBackup) installed on this system, you may need to use another port (e.g., 11000)."

However, I downloaded the lastest version of TR3466 and it is no longer listed in there.  Does OSSV set an archive bit?  I am not sure if it crawls based on last update date or by setting the archive bit.. Can anyone confirm support for both an NBU 6.5 agent and OSSV on the same host?  It was mentioned in the prior version of the TR and no mention in the release notes or user guide if there is contention.

bwood

We haven't qualified OSSV and NBU to live together. However, if they are going to coexist they should not be backing up the same data as they will step on each other. Both NBU and OSSV will clear the archive bit upon backup.

Public