ONTAP Discussions

Can't move flex vol from mirrored aggregate to non mirrored aggregate

LAZARAGOZANA

I have a FAS3240 (8.0.1P5 7-Mode) and I'd like to move some volumes from one mirrored aggregate to other non mirrored aggregate.

The problem is that whe I execute the "vol move start volName dstAggr" it throws the following warning (after setup phase):

Unsupported configuration for volume volName: source aggregate mirrored and destination aggregate is not mirrored

After this warning, the vol move operation remains paused and if I resume, then the warning is showed again.

I have read that it's not possible to move a vol from a 32 bit to a 64 bt aggregate, but I haven't read anything about mirrored to non mirrored aggregates.

Please any help would be really apreciated. Thank you in advance.

2 REPLIES 2

radek_kubka

Hi,

I couldn't find any documentation confirming this, but apparently (as the message says) this is an unsupported configuration.

vol move command is about the Non Disruptive Volume Movement (NDVM), so pretty advanced stuff.

You can still do a disruptive migration though via more traditional means, like vol copy or ndmp copy.

Regards,

Radek

columbus_admin

I was looking into vol move and found this myself.  One thing I did come across was this, but it didn't apply to me as I am not using a mirrored aggregate.  It seems to apply to you though.  I am not sure about the consequences of this, but it is a documented option.

The -o option is provided to ignore the  redundancy

characteristics  of  aggregates  in  Metro  Cluster

environment when vol move is  initiated  from  mir-

rored source aggregate to an unmirrored destination

aggregate.  In other words, without -o option,  vol

move  will not start and if started when the redun-

dancy characteristics of the  two  aggregates  were

identical,  will pause if the redundancy character-

istics differ before entering cutover.

- Scott

Public