ONTAP Discussions

Cannot configure host prior to ONTAP select deployment

fnunez

Hi all,

we are thinking about moving from ONTAP edge to ONTAP select so I decided to try the ONTAP select before hand. I was able to deploy the OVA with the deployment VM and add the host but I cannot configure it.

First thing is adding the host (that looks fine):

(ONTAPdeploy) host add --host-id 192.168.1.100 --username administrator@vsphere.local --vcenter 192.168.1.200
password:

(ONTAPdeploy) host show-all
+---------------+---------------+------+
| Host          | Status        | Type |
| 192.168.1.100 | authenticated | ESX  |

Then I try to configure it but I get an error:

(ONTAPdeploy) host configure --host-id 192.168.1.100 --location datacenter --storage-pool Data --internal-network Management --management-network Management --data-network Storage
+---------------+---------------------------+------+
| Host          | Status                    | Type |
| 192.168.1.100 | configuration_in_progress | ESX  |
+---------------+----------------------+------+
| Host          | Status               | Type |
| 192.168.1.100 | configuration_failed | ESX  |

When I check the event log and it is listed as error 215 Hypervisor not supported:

(ONTAPdeploy) event show-all
+----------+-----------------------+-------+------+------------------------------------------------------------+----------------------------+
| category | type                  | level | code | detail                                                     | time                       |
+----------+-----------------------+-------+------+------------------------------------------------------------+----------------------------+
| host     | HostConfigureFailed   | Error |  215 | InternalErr: 'HypervisorNotSupported'                      | 2016.07.08 14:22:46.919736 |
| host     | HostConfigureAccepted | Info  |  208 | Add configuration request for host 192.168.1.100 accepted. | 2016.07.08 14:22:39.968160 |
| host     | HostAddSuccessful     | Info  |  207 | Host 192.168.1.100 added successfully.                     | 2016.07.08 14:22:28.595119 |

Some extra info:

- I am using ESXi 6.0 (the same build recommended on the release notes). Tried ESXi 6.0U2 but I got the same error.

- This is just an evaluation environment so no licenses applied on any device (trial versions).

- I can see no errors on the ESXi host or the vCenter server.

Where could I get more detailed info about this error? Hopefully that would help to troubleshoot further this issue.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

fnunez

I found the solution and as I suspected it is related to the Evaluation license on the ESXi host. This license causes the host to be marked as incompatible...

[WARN] [Fri Jul  8 15:17:29 2016] [1060] ESX Host (192.168.1.100) is running with an unsupported VMware license (Evaluation Mode).
[WARN] [Fri Jul  8 15:17:29 2016] [1060] A VMware Enterprise or Enterprise Plus license is required for Data ONTAP-v deployments. Using a different license may result in reduced functionality or incompatibility.

Does it mean I cannot use an evaluation ESXi license to evaluate the Ontap Select? I hope this is a bug and will be fixed because I do not understand why I need an ESXi license to evaluate a Netapp product 😞

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

fnunez

I found the solution and as I suspected it is related to the Evaluation license on the ESXi host. This license causes the host to be marked as incompatible...

[WARN] [Fri Jul  8 15:17:29 2016] [1060] ESX Host (192.168.1.100) is running with an unsupported VMware license (Evaluation Mode).
[WARN] [Fri Jul  8 15:17:29 2016] [1060] A VMware Enterprise or Enterprise Plus license is required for Data ONTAP-v deployments. Using a different license may result in reduced functionality or incompatibility.

Does it mean I cannot use an evaluation ESXi license to evaluate the Ontap Select? I hope this is a bug and will be fixed because I do not understand why I need an ESXi license to evaluate a Netapp product 😞

prashand

ONTAP Select is supported on VMware Vsphere Enterprise or Enterprise+ license only. ONTAP Select is a virtual storage appliance and requires certain capabilities from the underlying hypervisor. You would need either Vsphere Enterprise or Enterprise+ license.

e_honcoop

I happen to disagree.

Per VMWare KB2107538: 'In the evaluation mode, you can access and use all features of ESXi."
https://kb.vmware.com/kb/2107538
In other words: evaluationmode = Enterprise+

Please NetApp, correct this oversight so we can properly familirise ourselves with ONTAP Select.

Nataraja

Try

DataONTAPv-esx-standalone.ova for single node cluster to see if you can bypass the deploy utility, i tried this version but offcourse i have the vmware esxi enterprise version but the problem with this version is that it will ask for a base license to run the services.

fnunez

Hi,

that OVA worked fine so it means this is just a limitation on the deployment software. Can we expect NetApp to relax that check in the near future?

Thanks!

Nataraja

We can always expect some bugs with the deployment utility but I dont think so Netapp will get rid of deploy utility as it is the netapp choosen way for centralized deployment of nodes,officially Netapp has not released Ontap select that supports nfs datastore yet but they will be releasing it shortly, sure of the exact release time though.

Public