ONTAP Discussions

Cluster Failover (CF -Takeover and CF -Giveback)

qanderson

Recently I upgraded my 3140 to 7.3.6 OS . I followed the upgrade advisor, I upgraded both nodes, then went to the 2nd node of my active/active cluster and did a cf -takeover. When I did this the 1st node rebooted. My CIFS shares seemed to stay up and running, however many iSCSI Luns hooked upto database boxes went away, along with a bunch of NFS exports for the virtual enviroment. I was under the impression that the active/active cluster configuration allowed all data services from one node to be run on the other. Am I thinking correctly or no? I still have to reboot the 2nd node and management is not too happy with me that the "Non-Disruptive Upgrade" I promised yanked the guts from out underneath our VM enviroment and a couple DB Clusters!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mcope

Did you read the Data ONTAP Upgrade Guide before doing the upgrade?  There's a section about halfway in that lists all the caveats for Non-Disruptive Upgrades.  CIFS and iSCSI are two of the reasons why you would have wanted to do a disruptive upgrade because they are stateful protocols.  It sounds like you may also want to review the configuration of your NFS and iSCSI clients to ensure they are configured to tolerate up to 120 second interruptions.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Public