ONTAP Discussions

Coming back to the network creates ~.tmp files

drowningadmin

Hello,

I'm brand new to NetApp technology, but have been doing research.  My organization does all of it's file shares from a NetApp device using ONTAP for offline files.  Recently we discovered that when users were coming back to the network after saving files while offline, tmp files were being created when they re-joined the network; BEFORE sync center runs a sync.  The files are names with the same name as the original file with the addition of "~RFf1eba.TMP" (just an example, its random).  When a sync is performed, Sync Center sees a confilict as if the user had deleted the original file while offline.  If Sync Center is instructed to keep the file, the changes are updated, but the TMP file remains.  I'm happy to provide any information to assist in the solution of this issue.  I've already done hours of troubleshooting and can provide much more detail if requested.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Andrin

Hello

We solved the issue by changing the CIFS symlink-properties from "enable, read-only" to symlinks. The W10 clients had problems with the DFS advertisement. 

https://kb.netapp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/1001512/~/what-is-the-impact-of-a-shares-symlink-settings-and-dfs-advertisement-in

Best regards, Andrin

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Andrin

Hello,

Did you resolve this issue? We have the same issue.

Regards, Andrin

drowningadmin

Hello Andrin--No, we have not been able to resolve the issue.  We opened a ticket with Microsoft who did a lot of troubleshooting with us, but came to the conclusion that it was an issue with the NetApp.  We attempted to open a ticket with NetApp, but were immediately told that the issue was with Microsoft and no troubleshooting was done.  I'm currently trying to get NetApp and Microsoft to communicate with each other on this issue, but that is not going well at all.  If I make any progress I will gladly update you.  I'm hoping you will do the same.  Thanks!

amentia

Hi, did you have find out something?

we have the same issue since introduction from W10 Clients. 

I have tought that could be the SMB Version that cause this Problem, Maybe in combination with the Antivirus scanner.. but i have to test it..

Andrin

Hello

We solved the issue by changing the CIFS symlink-properties from "enable, read-only" to symlinks. The W10 clients had problems with the DFS advertisement. 

https://kb.netapp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/1001512/~/what-is-the-impact-of-a-shares-symlink-settings-and-dfs-advertisement-in

Best regards, Andrin

drowningadmin

Andrin--Thanks for posting your solution.  Just to clarify:

1.  You changed the CIFS symlink-properties from "enable, read-only" to what?  Just enable?  or "Hide or “ “ (null)"?

2.  Have you experienced any adverse reactions to the change?  Do you run any virtual machine storage on the NetApp in question?

Thanks in advance,

Andrin

Hello Drawningadmin

1.  You changed the CIFS symlink-properties from "enable, read-only" to what?  Just enable?  or "Hide or “ “ (null)"? --> symlinks

2.  Have you experienced any adverse reactions to the change? Yes, some clients lost the connection to the share. After a reboot of the client the issue was resolved. NetApp Support said you can do it online without a problem, but that was wrong.

Regards, Andrin

drowningadmin

Andrin--Thanks so much for the reply!  Just to clarify, you said that some clients lost connection to the share when you made the change.  You said the solution was that those clients had to reboot their computer, correct?  You did not have to reboot the NetApp?

Andrin

yes, correct.. just the clients.

drowningadmin

Andrin--Thank you so much for responding with you findings!  Just one last question.  After making a change, did the existing .TMP files disappear on their own or did you have to delete them?  Or did you just leave them there?  Thanks again!

Andrin

Hello,

we had to delete them. Changing the symlinks properties does not delete the existing .tmp files. The client manages these .tmp files but does not delete them.

Regards, Andrin

Public