ONTAP Discussions

Comparison of 7.3.x and 8.0.x on FAS6080 hardware

shane_bradley

Has anyone got any numbers on the improvement between the code revisions with differing workloads?

4 REPLIES 4

radek_kubka

Hi Shane,

It's a very tricky question & I am not sure whether anyone will give you hard numbers.

Be wary though that if you are looking at implementing 64-bit aggregates, they may be actually slower than 32-bit ones (more metadata to be fitted into RAM, but arguably this problem will be limited on the mighty 6080).

Regards,
Radek

shane_bradley

Hi

Thanks for that, we generally run our volumes quite small so running 32bit aggrs in that respect isnt too much of an issue, i'd been doing some reading and noticed a comment that 8.0 had been optimised for 8 cores (or something similar)

We're planning doing some testing soon assuming we can free up a 6080 for a bit. Just wondering if anyone had tried it and what their experiences were

pascalduk

Since the the fas6080 has plenty of cores I expect to see a performance improvement because of better multi threading. During a test earlier this year on a fas6040 with ontap 8 I saw all 4 cores at 100%

A multi threading improvement was already visible for me when I upgraded from 7.2 to 7.3.

shane_bradley

Yeah

We saw a decent jump between 7.2 and 7.3 given the threading improvements we've seen with the 8.0.1 release on other platforms we're interested in seeing how that might translate to the FAS6080's unfortunately we'll need to wait as all the FAS6080's are front line production boxes

I wouldnt mind seeing a FAS with all CPU's at 100% the best i've seen so far is about 6 out of 8.

Public