ONTAP Discussions

Consistency-aware replication of SnapManager backups using SnapVault w/o ProtMana

MarcTeiwes

Hi,

maybe someone of you is aware of a solution for the following problem:

I am looking for a third-party backup solution to replicate the consistent snapshots made by SMSQL and SMVI via SnapVault to secondary storage.

Although, restores should be possible without touching the SnapVault relationship at storage-level.

An idea of mine was to realize this by placing some pre-, post- or in-script to an BakBone/NetVault SnapVault job, but I found no solution to pick up the consistent Snapshots made by SnapManager.

I know that Protection Manager in conclusion with SnapManager integration can do all that stuff, but this (which actually hurts me) is not an option.

Any ideas?

Greets,

Marc

5 REPLIES 5

vrishali

I'm on leave from 30th Oct to 12th Nov. Please contact my manager

Senthil (senthilk@netapp.com) for anything urgent.

Thanks,

Vrishali

jakub_wartak

Hi,

no idea why you cannot use PM, because this is what you exactly should be using.

Basically if your question is how to replicate consistent SM snapshot then short answer is to use SnapVault, it is going to replicate every snapshot in volume. The problem might be restoring from such snapshots on SV destination side and not reverting the local ones, it mostly depends what kind of OS/protocol combo you are using, but in short you can do FlexClone on SV side and using OS connect there (if you have FC/iSCSI) or you could do restore from SV destination to primary SV side but onto different FlexVols (just copy data) and again FlexClone and connecting to OS.

-Jakub.

vrishali

Thanks,

Vrishali

fjohn

SnapMirror ... is going to replicate every snapshot in the volume.  SnapVault is going to replicate the contents of the Qtree.  You should be able to do this via PowerShell.  Start-NaSnapvaultSecTransfer with the -PrimarySnapshot parameter.  You should check out the Data ONTAP PowerShell Toolkit v1.2 if you have not alread done so.  http://communities.netapp.com/community/interfaces_and_tools/data_ontap_powershell_toolkit

JohnFul

vrishali

Thanks,

Vrishali

Public