ONTAP Discussions

DATA MIGRATION FROM 7-MODE TO ENABLE cDOT RECONFIGURATION

stormtrooper

Hi all,

I currently have a NetApp configured in 7-mode that needs reconfiguring from scratch as cDOT.  I'm fine with this process but.....what to do with the data !  It's been suggested to move all data (approx 15TB) onto temporary QNAP storage, reconfigure the NetApp, then copy back.

Has anyone been through anything similiar or have any other recommendations I how I can achieve this without losing data and still providing access to it throughout the NetApp upgrade.

Thanks in advance 🙂

2 REPLIES 2

robinpeter

There is multiple way to do this work..

1, Copy based transition 

2, copy free transition 

seems like you are planning for copy based transition.. and you can use 7MTT to help you with the process.

7-Mode Transition Tool Transition Guide and Release Notes

aborzenkov
Move from 7-Mode to C-Mode is always migration and will always result in some period of unavailability. It also always requires swing gear.

Copying data to third party storage and wiping your netapp has downside that if anything goes wrong, you are left in rather difficult situation. For this reason both supported migration methods leave open possibility to go back to 7-Mode until your have verified your migrated C-Mode system works.

I suggest you contact your netapp representatives or partners whether they can assist with migration.
Public