ONTAP Discussions

Data ONTAP Edge and Edge-T has a new installer

jeffwhit

On January 17th, we posted the latest update to the Data ONTAP Edge and Edge-T platforms with a completely prebuilt installation virtual machine called the Data ONTAP-v Installer.  The new installer is an OVF package that starts directly into the installation tool, dvadmin, no longer requiring the customer build their own Linux virtual machine to install either of the Edge platforms.  This will greatly simplify the installation procedures for the Edge solutions.  You can find the new installation package and documentation from the Data ONTAP Edge/Edge-T download locations on the NetApp support site.

As a note, this will not change the evalutaion installation procedure as that is a prebuild image with the evaluation license already in place.

10 REPLIES 10

ple

Hello,

Where can we find the new installer ? is it available for evaluation ?

This URL is correct  ? http://support.netapp.com/NOW/apbu/oemcp/protcd/evaluation/edge/download.shtml

-> it 's an OVA and not an OVF and the version is 8.1.1 and not the last 8.1.2.111

Thks for your answer

Regards,

Philippe

PZI1234567

That link above is the standard evaluation link I got and it does not include the dvadmin template.

I am not sure what value has this evaluation if you are missing the essential tool to add disks etc. What would you be evaluating?

jianxunc

Hi Experts

Is that possible to run Ontap edge on Linux KVM virtualization environment?

coon

Please start a new thread for questions. It'll get lost in the announcements comments.

diarmuidn

I was able to add disks using the native VMWARE tools so I must say that I find the information about dvadmin a bit confusioning. I have also noticed that the evaluation version does not come with a CIFS licence. Does anyone know why this is?

PZI1234567

Don't you guys feel lonely here - this is one of the main threads on the Edge eval and Jeff (extrapolating from jeffwit user name) announced the dvadmin tool in January 2013 - since than we have just a handful of posts asking for help or reporting confusion and nobody on the netapp side cares to respond.

That dvadmin tool that is not included in the eval download is an indication of a total "i don't care" attitude.

Jeff - you announced that news on Edge and you don't bother to respond. Or maybe you don't work there anymore 🙂

Diarmuidn - I got the CIFS license with the email after subscribing - i hope they will not revoke my account after i post it here to help fellow netapp customer abandoned to netapp support: PPBSJZC               CIFS

-Peter

HENRYPAN2

Well Peter,

The only reason for me was Edge is too small to feed my hungry user data&colon;<(

Cheers

Henry

coon

Henry,

I appreciate your feedback. The Edge size limitation is a value that we expect to change. Also, it's always best to reach out to a sales person to discuss your specific size/cost needs. Some things can be adjusted depending on what you're looking for.

diarmuidn

Hi Peter,

Many thanks for the license key - already applied successfully.

I registered to download the evaluation version more than once over the past week and with more than one email address. To date I have not received any confirmation emails confirming my subscription hence the lack of licence keys. I suspect the issue may lie at the NETAPP end and not with my diverse list of email addresses!

D

coon

There are people from NetApp watching this forum. I do recommend starting a new thread for questions instead of commenting on an announcement from the product manager.

If you need faster assistance, please contact a NetApp sales representative (1 877 263 8277).

If you have purchased Edge, please contact NetApp support for assistance.

Public