ONTAP Discussions

Data ONTAP migrations from 7.3 to 8.1

biescas

Hi,

One of our Partners is looking at doing some Data ONTAP migrations from 7.3 to 8.1, and was wondering whether it would be possible to migrate the data via VSM from the source 32 bit volumes to destination 64 bit volumes on 8.1 The technical release notes for 8.1RC2 seem to indicate that this is only possible with QSM, not VSM, but it would be good to confirm this if you could help?

Thanks,

6 REPLIES 6

bsnyder27

I believe what you read was accurate regarding the inability to snapmirror at a volume level between a 32-bit and 64-bit aggregate.  There's still the option of VSM 32-bit to 32-bit and then upgrading the aggr encompassing to 64-bit.  That said, they're likely hoping to consolidate some aggregates by going 64-bit.

aborzenkov

Yes, that's possible. Destination will be converted to 64 bit after snapmirror break. You will not be able to revert snapmirror of course.

bsnyder27

Nice.  I do see in the 8.1rc2 documentation that VSM is possible under the section 'Interoperability between 64-bit and 32-bit volumes' though they don't make mention of the inability to revert snapmirror.

*Fingers crossed for the ability for inline aggr conversion from 32-bit to 64-bit in 8.1*

glen_cornell

VSM and QSM both work and 32bit to 64bit works most of the time.  After having snapmirrored ~80TB via VSM from 32bit 7.3 to 8.1RC2 the last mirror corrupted my 64bit aggr.  Hopefully this is already resolved in RC3 as I patiently await the GA.  Note once your volume reaches 16TB breaking mirrors will initiate a 64bit wafl scan even if your aggr is still 32bit.  The 64bit wafl scan by itself is not a prolem but updating several mirrors at once can have significant impact on the CPU.  

ds

I did VSM 70 TB from 8.0 32bit and 64bit to 8.1 rc2 64bit with no problem.

aborzenkov

VSM destination must be the same or higher version, this is general rule, not specific to 32 vs. 64 bit aggregates.

Public