ONTAP Discussions

Datamotion for NFS volumes

rajdeepsengupta

Hi All,

Do anyone have any update when the datamotion on NFS volumes will be supported.

I know many customers like us, extensively use NFS volumes for almost everything for obvious reasons.

So as far as I know in even 8.1, it is only supported for non-NFS/non-CIFS volumes, so basically it is only supported for LUNs

Thanks in advance.

-Rajdeep

5 REPLIES 5

scottgelb

I don't know of any plans for vol move in 7-mode to work with NAS. San volumes only and likely won't change. Cluster-mode supports this for any volume though regardless of data in the volume.

rajdeepsengupta

Hi Scott,

I was just wondering if anyone is aware of any enhancement request open in Netapp which talks about this feature. Actually we are totally NFS based, and it would have been a great thing if datamotion gets supported for NFS volume. Today if we have to move NFS volumes between aggr, then we have to schedule a downtime for that active volume to do this activity, which means production loss.

scottgelb

In 7-mode Snapmirror migrate could be used. But does require manual update of exports. It does handle fsid and file handles though.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

rajdeepsengupta

Hi Scott,

Can you please elaborate more on this "migrate" option of snapmirror.

I means, suppose one NFS volume is serving data to clients, and if I use snapmirror migrate on the same filer, and migrate it to another volumeaggr in the same filer then will there be any disruption or it will be transparent for the clients.

Thanks

scottgelb

It is documented in the online data protection guide. Do you have a support.netapp.com account? Snapmirror migrate does stop Nfs for a short period to cutover the mirror. It migrates one volume but nfs off is global to all volumes. Depending on timeout settings there is risk of stale mounts.

If you use vfilers. Then data motion for vfilers is another option but that moves every volume of the vfiler to another node. We have used this to migrate off and back in order to move local volumes on a controller. But takes space to do this.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Public