ONTAP Discussions

Default storage failover (HA pair) setting is auto-giveback true

scottgelb

I have noticed on all new installs (or wipeclean defaults) that auto giveback is enabled on all nodes.  In 7-mode this is always disabled and most never enable it since we want to troubleshoot any failure without autogiveback.

Does anyone run HA Pair autogiveback and why?  I can think of some reasons but still haven't left it enabled.

To turn it off on all nodes in a cluster

stor fail modify -node nodename* -auto-giveback false

2 REPLIES 2

mrinal

Hi Scott,

The change you have noticed is a recent one. It applies to 7-Mode and cONTAP. From the Release Notes for 8.1.2...

"Beginning with Data ONTAP 8.1.2, Data ONTAP will, by default, automatically giveback to the partner after a takeover due to the partner panicking. This giveback can be disabled or reenabled using the new -auto-giveback-after-panic  parameter of the storage failover modify command .The automatic giveback reduces the amount of time the HA pair operates with a node in takeover mode."

This change was implemted after analysing support cases and observing customer experiences of takeover / giveback events.

scottgelb

Thank you... I didn't catch that in the release notes.  I don't like having autogiveback though since if a hardware issue or stuck in partial giveback... but not a big concern since it does check for partner waiting for giveback.

Public