ONTAP Discussions

Does setting snapshot_clone_dependency have any impact?

aborzenkov

I wonder why is it not default in the first place. It avoids nagging issues with locked snapshots and does what most users would naively expect (I remember that most people need some time to understand locked snapshot problem in the first place).

Does this option have any negative impact?

3 REPLIES 3

scottgelb

Great question.  Agreed...on most installs, I turn on this vol option just to not have locking issues.. haven't heard of any performance issues, but might be an issue when they go to delete a snap.  What other options do you modify?  I have a script I go through and change a lot of options and defaults these days...and typically enable clone_dependency, vol lang C.UTF-8 language, enable unicode and convert unicode (new install...not to an existing volume not enabled which can be a nightmare for performance), then change several of the small default tcp window sizes... I also started mirroring root on every new install too similar to clustered ontap where we mirror vsroot local and to all other nodes as long as there is space and a different aggr to mirror to. 

HENRYPAN2

Good Evening Scott,

Would you be kind enough to share your wonder script with me?

Thanks in advance & Happy New Year

Henry

Henry.Pan@providence.org

maliu

Hi Scott,

Will be happy if you can share the script too. Just hearing about the snapshot_clone_dependency for the first time. Checking through all our existing vols, it is all defaulted to off as Andrey mentioned.

Public