ONTAP Discussions

Expire snapshots after changing SV retention policy with Protection Manager

christop

With ONTAP 7.3 if you change the 'snapvault snap sched' retention for a snapvault relationship, ONTAP will automatically delete any snapshots beyond the new retention.

If I reduce the retention policy for a SnapVault relationship in Protection Manager, do the old snapshot get automatically deleted, or do I need to manually delete them via CLI?

8 REPLIES 8

Edwardhewer

Hi did you ever get an answer to this?

cheers Ed

adaikkap

If the snapshots are PM taken and they are beyond the retention duration and count, then they are automatically deleted by PM.

PS: Both duration and count has to expire and not just for snapshot to be eligible for deletion by PM.

Regards

adai

Edwardhewer

OK thanks,

I don't think i have a setting for the number of snapshots that should be retained. I do use age but as there is enough space it will keep the old snaps longer than need, Please could you let me know what this setting is to set the number of snaps per volume and can it be applied from protection manager or is it a per filer /volume setting

Edward

adaikkap

The setting is at dataset level, per dataset.It is set from the dfpm cli.

Below is the cli for the same.

Use the dfpm policy node get to see what is the current values. And dfpm policy node set to change any values you like

1. dfpm policy node get Backup

Node Id: 1

Node Name: Primary data

Hourly Retention Count: 2

Hourly Retention Duration: 86400

Daily Retention Count: 2

Daily Retention Duration: 604800

Weekly Retention Count: 1

Weekly Retention Duration: 1209600

Monthly Retention Count: 0

Monthly Retention Duration: 0

Backup Script Path:

Backup Script Run As:

Failover Script Path:

Failover Script Run As:

Snapshot Schedule Id: 46

Snapshot Schedule Name: Sunday at midnight with daily and hourly

Warning Lag Enabled: Yes

Warning Lag Threshold: 129600

Error Lag Enabled: Yes

Error Lag Threshold: 172800

Node Id: 2

Node Name: Backup

Hourly Retention Count: 0

Hourly Retention Duration: 0

Daily Retention Count: 2

Daily Retention Duration: 1209600

Weekly Retention Count: 2

Weekly Retention Duration: 4838400

Monthly Retention Count: 1

Monthly Retention Duration: 8467200

#

Regards

adai

Edwardhewer

I have checked my policy please see bellow, but I still have older snapshots than the weekly retention count, I assume this is because my volume is not short on space and the auto delete settings do not need to delete any files,

Is there any settings i can action to force my volumes to comply with my policy, I want to shrink some of my volumes as there are far larger than needed

Thanks for your support so far

C:\>
C:\>dfpm policy node get "LTSBCF Gold Mirror and back up"
Node Id:                    1
Node Name:                  Primary data
Hourly Retention Count:     2
Hourly Retention Duration:  172800
Daily Retention Count:      2
Daily Retention Duration:   604800
Weekly Retention Count:     1
Weekly Retention Duration:  0
Monthly Retention Count:    0
Monthly Retention Duration: 0
Backup Script Path:
Backup Script Run As:
Failover Script Path:
Failover Script Run As:
Snapshot Schedule Id:       43
Snapshot Schedule Name:     Sunday at midnight with daily and hourly
Warning Lag Enabled:        Yes
Warning Lag Threshold:      129600
Error Lag Enabled:          Yes
Error Lag Threshold:        172800

Node Id:                    2
Node Name:                  Mirror

Node Id:                    3
Node Name:                  Backup
Hourly Retention Count:     0
Hourly Retention Duration:  0
Daily Retention Count:      2
Daily Retention Duration:   2419200
Weekly Retention Count:     2
Weekly Retention Duration:  4838400
Monthly Retention Count:    1
Monthly Retention Duration: 31449600

adaikkap
I have checked my policy please see bellow, but I still have older snapshots than the weekly retention count, I assume this is because my volume is not short on space and the auto delete settings do not need to delete any files,

No.

The deletions of expired backup is done in two stages by PM.

The conformance runs on the dataset(by default every hour) and marks the expired backups for deletion which are beyond the retention count and duration.

The snapshot monitor actually goes and deletes the snapshots.(by default every 30mintues)

So within 1.5 hours the expired backup will be deleted. If they are not then I suspect the monitoring is stopped.

Can you get the output of dfm about ? (you can sanitze the customer specific details)

Regards

adai

Edwardhewer

Details from About

Version                          3.8.0.6640 (3.8.1)
Serial Number                    1-50-009139

Administrator Name              
Host Name                       
Host IP Address                 
Host Full Name                 

Operations Manager Node limit    4 (currently managing 5)
Protection Manager Node Limit    4 (currently managing 4)
Operating System                 Microsoft Windows 2003 Service Pack 2 (Build 3790) x86 based
CPU Count                        8
System Memory                    4095 MB (load: 40%)
Installation Directory           C:/Program Files/NetApp/DataFabric/DFM
                                 19.3 GB free (39.5%)
Perf Data Directory              C:/Program Files/NetApp/DataFabric/DFM/perfdata

Data Export Directory            C:/Program Files/NetApp/DataFabric/DFM/dataExport
Database Backup Directory        C:\Program Files\NetApp\DataFabric\DFM\data
Reports Archival Directory       C:\Program Files\NetApp\DataFabric\DFM\reports

Licensed Features                Operations Manager: installed
                                 Protection Manager: installed

Installed Plugins                Storage System Config 6.5.1 (6.5.1) - storage systems and vFilers
                                 Storage System Config 6.5.2 (6.5.2) - storage systems and vFilers
                                 Storage System Config 6.5.3 (6.5.3) - storage systems and vFilers
                                 Storage System Config 6.5.4 (6.5.4) - storage systems and vFilers
                                 Storage System Config 6.5.5 (6.5.5) - storage systems and vFilers
                                 Storage System Config 6.5.6 (6.5.6) - storage systems and vFilers
                                 Storage System Config 6.5.7 (6.5.7) - storage systems and vFilers
                                 Storage System Config 7.0 (7.0.0.1) - storage systems and vFilers
                                 Storage System Config 7.0.1 (7.0.1.1) - storage systems and vFilers
                                 Storage System Config 7.0.2 (7.0.2) - storage systems and vFilers
                                 Storage System Config 7.0.3 (7.0.3) - storage systems and vFilers
                                 Storage System Config 7.0.4 (7.0.4) - storage systems and vFilers
                                 Storage System Config 7.0.5 (7.0.5) - storage systems and vFilers
                                 Storage System Config 7.0.6 (7.0.6) - storage systems and vFilers
                                 Storage System Config 7.0.7 (7.0.7) - storage systems and vFilers
                                 Storage System Config 7.1 (7.1.0.1) - storage systems and vFilers
                                 Storage System Config 7.1.1 (7.1.1.1) - storage systems and vFilers
                                 Storage System Config 7.1.2 (7.1.2.1) - storage systems and vFilers
                                 Storage System Config 7.1.3 (7.1.3) - storage systems and vFilers
                                 Storage System Config 7.2 (7.2) - storage systems and vFilers
                                 Storage System Config 7.2.1 (7.2.1.1) - storage systems and vFilers
                                 Storage System Config 7.2.2 (7.2.2) - storage systems and vFilers
                                 Storage System Config 7.2.3 (7.2.3) - storage systems and vFilers
                                 Storage System Config 7.2.4 (7.2.4) - storage systems and vFilers
                                 Storage System Config 7.2.5 (7.2.5.1) - storage systems and vFilers
                                 Storage System Config 7.2.6 (7.2.6.1) - storage systems and vFilers
                                 Storage System Config 7.2.7 (7.2.7) - storage systems and vFilers
                                 Storage System Config 7.3 (7.3) - storage systems and vFilers
                                 Storage System Config 7.3.1 (7.3.1.1) - storage systems and vFilers
                                 Storage System Config 7.3.2 (7.3.2) - storage systems and vFilers

adaikkap

I have run through on whatever I knew.

Check if there are any errors in the dfmmontior.log or credentials are fine for the filer.

Regards

adai

Public