ONTAP Discussions

FAS 3220 and DS4243 cabling

SagarDH

Hi,

I am new to Netapp and storage technologies.

I have received Netapp FAS 3220 single controller and DS4243. I have done cabling and attached cabling diagram. Please let me know is that correct cabling.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NAYABSK

Hey Sagar, 

Your cabling is good and also good to know config advisor showing no errors 🙂 . Please do remember as you have only one controller your setup will be a single point of failure ( As it is a standalone controller ) myself representing NetApp highly recommend using HA-Pair.

Thanks,

Nayab

**** If my reply helped to solve your issue, please help to mark it as answer to help others ****

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

NAYABSK

Hey Sagar, 

I didn't find any attachment here, May be you missed it out. Please find the default cabling diagram to connect disk shelf's to netapp controller.

Cabling_Netapp.png

Thanks,

Nayab

SagarDH

Thanks a lot for diagram. I have attached my cabling. Please verify and it going to production and It has single controller.

Thanks,

Vidya Sagar

NAYABSK

Hey Sagar, 

That's perfect man , Cool that you have closed the SAS loop as well 🙂  Your cabling right and is as per the Netapp Best practices 🙂

In future if you expand your environment and have doubts regarding cabling u can always run NETAPP CONFIG ADVISOR ( Can be installed on Windows Machine ) which checks the hardware status as well as the cabling in your environment.

Config Advisor can be downloaded from mysupport.netapp.com --> Tools --> Utility Toolchest 

Config_Advisor Tool Chest.JPG

Thanks,

Nayab

SagarDH

Hi Nayab,

Thanks a lot for tool just downloaded and installed. ACP cabling Passed and sas Cabling failed. Attached the error.

Thanks

NAYABSK

Hey Sagar, 

The key rule to remember is "Circle to Square".  All cables should go from a Circle port to a square port.

Top Controller (A) Circle port connects to Shelf 1 Top (A) module Square port

Bottom Controller (B) Circle port connects to Shelf 1 Bottom (B) Square port

Shelf 1 Top (A) module circle port connects to Bottom Controller (B) Square port

Shelf 1 Bottom (B) module circle port connects to Top Controller (A) Square port

As i didn't notice if it is circle or square port Can you cross check based on if every CIRCLE TO SQUARE ?

Thanks,

Nayab

SagarDH

Hi Nayab,

I have only one controller and attached my cabling diagram. after this connection i am not seeing any issues in config advisor. Still I want to confirm my cabling is good.

Thanks

NAYABSK

Hey Sagar, 

Your cabling is good and also good to know config advisor showing no errors 🙂 . Please do remember as you have only one controller your setup will be a single point of failure ( As it is a standalone controller ) myself representing NetApp highly recommend using HA-Pair.

Thanks,

Nayab

**** If my reply helped to solve your issue, please help to mark it as answer to help others ****

SagarDH

Hi Nayab,

Yes we should have to have dual controller. I will plan in future budget. Thanks a lot for your setup.

Public