ONTAP Discussions

FAS2020 upgrade

p_maniawski

Is this possible to upgrade FAS2020 to FAS2040 by simply changing fillers? AFAIK both models share the same case and disks, but i'm not sure if they are fully compatibile. Has anyone done it? Do I need to buy new licences and bundle?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

scottgelb

It is supported... work with your NetApp team for a quote to trade-in the 2020 controller and the new 2040 with licenses.  It is a basic controller swap where you reassign the disks, delete mailboxes (local/partner) and a short outage during the controller swap.   All the network ports match (e0a/e0b on the 2020 to e0a/e0b on the 2040 and you also get e0c and e0d for 2 extra ports on the 2040) so no need to change /etc/rc or /etc/hosts.  A really easy upgrade and nice to get a controller that can run ONTAP 8.0.x.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

scottgelb

It is supported... work with your NetApp team for a quote to trade-in the 2020 controller and the new 2040 with licenses.  It is a basic controller swap where you reassign the disks, delete mailboxes (local/partner) and a short outage during the controller swap.   All the network ports match (e0a/e0b on the 2020 to e0a/e0b on the 2040 and you also get e0c and e0d for 2 extra ports on the 2040) so no need to change /etc/rc or /etc/hosts.  A really easy upgrade and nice to get a controller that can run ONTAP 8.0.x.

p_maniawski

Thanks for a quick response! I'll quote my local reseller for an offer.

mhouser

The official upgrade procedures for 2020 > 2040 (and other upgrade paths) can be found at System Upgrade Procedures.

Public