Subscribe
Accepted Solution

FCoE Direct Connection From Server to Filer

[ Edited ]

Hi , 

Why is that the other network ports from the server gets disconnected when the port of FCoE from FAS2552(directly connection to server) gets UP. 

Thanks,
Scott

Re: FCoE Direct Connection From Server to Filer

Hi

The host FCoE initiator must connect to an FCoE DCB (data center bridging) switch; direct connection to a target is not supported. Refer page 23 on the SAN configuration guide: https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMP1518989

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

HI Sahana, 

Thank you for the information but i want to clarify something , What If we use a cable for ISCSI that is 10g and remove the SFP? Would it be possible or does it support that kind of setup having direct connection to server.

THank you!

That would work but when you have a failover event, the all of the IP addresses will move to the HA-Partner in 7-Mode and you would lose connectivity to the lun.  If cDOT, the IPs (LIFS) would not move and MPIO with ALUA is required.  I wouldn't direct attach any SAN protocol (not supported for cDOT).   With FC it is supported direct attached (7-Mode ONLY, as long as native FC connected to both controllers in the ha-pair), but I don't like that setup...always prefer multipath across two switches.