ONTAP Discussions

File restore using snapvault

JJCROSSLAND

We are planning on implementing Snapvault in the near future.  I was requested to find out if it is possible to restore a single file using snapvault?  The plan is to do away with our tape backup system.  Most of the restore requests we get tend to be just for single files or directories.  Thanks.

George

9 REPLIES 9

RAVI_PALADUGU

You can actually use snapshots for restoring single files. Snapvault works at qtree level. If an entire primary qtree needs to be restored from an older version available on the secondary,  the user can use the snapvault restore command on the primary.

If you intend to restore a primary qtree to the exact qtree location on the primary system from which you backed it up, you can perform any one of the following steps:

Baseline restore—The baseline restore can be to an existing qtree or to a non-existing qtree.

Note: In case of a baseline restore to an existing qtree, the restore operation overwrites the qtree data.

Incremental restore—The restore operation transfers only incremental changes from the secondary qtree to the specified primary qtree.

Note: When restoring an existing primary qtree, an incremental restore is more efficient. If the incremental restore fails, then you can attempt an in-place baseline restore.

Please let me know if you are looking for more information.

Regards,

Ravi

JJCROSSLAND

But can you restore just a specific file, like a Word document without restoring the entire qtree?

Thanks,

George

RAVI_PALADUGU

No, it works only at qtree level. What you are looking is more like restoring from previous versions using snapshots. Hope I answered your question, if so please mark it answered.

Best Regards,

Ravi

aborzenkov

You just connect to snapshot on SnapVault system and copy file from there. There is no built-in "single file restore from SnapVault", only from local snapshots.

YEKYAWTHARMYINT

Hi George,

Use ndmpcopy to restore single file.

Regards,

Ye

niels

Hi George,

in case the SnapVault relationships are managed by Protection Manager, you are able to restore a single file from any SnapShot related to your source volume. Be it a local SnapShot (Primary Data) that's still available on the source or a SnapShot that has already beeen vaulted to a secondary system (Backup).

Screenshot as teaser:

To be fair - Protection Manager does not use native SnapVault functionality but NDMP restore (as SnapVault itself does not provide single-file-restore capabilities). But the endresult maybe exactly what you are looking for.

regards, Niels

RAVI_PALADUGU

Hi Niels,

Good idea to restore if not using snapmanager. But what if the customer is using snap manager product? The restore should happen only from snap manager.

Geroge,

Are you planning to have snap manager as well?

Regards

Ravi

JNSTEGEMANOEH

Hi Niels,

Worked perfectly - cheers!!

Jason

andrew_braker

I have exported (cifs shares -add <sharename> <qtree path>) the snapvault destination qtrees on the filer which hosts them. They will be readonly, but you can connect to the CIFS share and navigate through the folder structure to find the single file you wish to restore (And by restore, I mean just copy the single file from this snapvault CIFS share into the original qtree). If you have snapshot retentions setup on the snapvault destination you can also access the older snapshots via "Previous Versions" tab on the folder containing the file (or had contained the file and a user deleted it or something). Then copy it from the previous versions window back to original qtree. Certainly saves on time having to go to tape to retrieve deleted files

It doesn't have to be CIFS either, you can export the snapvault destination qtrees via NFS too.

Public