ONTAP Discussions

Flash Accel question

borismekler

Now that version 1.2 is out with support for vSphere 5.1 and VMotion, I'm preparing to deploy it, but before I do, there's one thing that I haven't been able to find an answer to in documentation - how does it handle cache device failures? That is, if I give it just one SSD (rather than RAID1 or RAID10), and that SSD fails, will I simply get performance degradation, or will my cached VMs (or worse, entire host, including non-cached VMs) crash? Same goes for PCIe devices, which can't be RAIDed in the first place.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SLASH5K200

Thats a good question..

I just kicked off a SQLIO on a test VM with flash accel cache enabled and after a few minutes removed the datastore that holds our RDMp's for Flash Accel on the host where this VM lives to simulate the loss of a cache device...

VM stayed alive running the SQLIO test and flashcache start to kick in... VM was fine

Flash Accel hit Ratio %

Flash Cache:

When i look at the Flash Accel homepage it now also says:

To repair this, i migrated the VM to another host that had access to the existing RDMp datastore, disabled the cache for the VM, enabled the cache, and now its working again... no restart required!

If you ask me... thats pretty cool!

hope that helps you

C

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Public