ONTAP Discussions

Help Migrating Data from Filer to Win Server

expat_macgeek

All,

I'm hoping someone out there can help me out with this.  Let me start by saying that I know nothing about NetApp filers.  Nada.  I have been tasked with migrating data off of an organizations Filer and onto a Windows 2003 file server so that the NetApp can be reconfigured.  Our organization does not support NetApp, and this group decided to buy one without any foresight into how it should be used correctly, backed up, or even operated at a basic level.  The guy who purchased / implemented it has left the organization, so nobody here is much help with this task.

Here's what I know:

- Filer is a NetApp F800 series.

- Configured as CIFS, and user data is being redirected to shares on the Filer.

- They have no way to backup the data on the Filer.

- The Filer needs to be reconfigured to present as volumes attached to a server in order to be protected by our current backup solution.

Is there a way to move that data off of the Filer using the Filer itself / DataONTAP.  I need to move all of that data to a shared folder on a Win2k3 file server and redirect users to the new location.  Redirecting the users isn't a problem, but getting it off the filer all in one shot is the problem.

I don't mean to sound like an idiot here, but this is just not my area.  I know that this isn't a lot of information on the setup we've got, but I don't know jack about it, but I can provide more if needed.  Just tell me where to look.  Nobody knows anything about their own piece of hardware here, so I'm really flying blind.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

benjstarratt

I too will suggest robocopy.  The newest version from Microsoft (included with Windows 7) is multithreaded which is great for massive amounts of data.  I would suggest a process something like this:

Environment: NetApp called toaster with multiple shares.  Server called microwave.

Document share permissions on toaster by looking at them in Windows Explorer

Build a baseline

Create multiple shares on microwave with the same names as the ones on toaster

Run robocopy \\toaster\share1 \\microwave\share1  /copyall /mir /r:0 /w:0 /log:robolog.txt in a command prompt

Repeat for each additional share.

Review robolog.txt to see how many files were missed (especially the very bottom) and troubleshoot

Get an outage window

Run robocopy \\toaster\share1 \\microwave\share1  /copyall /mir /r:0 /w:0 /log:robolog.txt in a command prompt

Repeat for each additional share.  This will only copy the changed data which will reduce the outage duration.

Repeat for each additional share

Review robolog.txt to see how many files were missed (especially the very bottom) and troubleshoot

Shutdown toaster

Rename microwave to toaster

There are a lot of different tweaks depending on your tolerance for downtime, need for speed and number of shares, but this should get the data off the NetApp.  Play with robocopy a bit to get the hang of it.

Final step: Keep toaster in the lab and find out why people adore them.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Public