ONTAP Discussions

How do I backup the .snapshot volume using HP data protector 6.2 ?

LEIGHDONNELL

Hello

I am trying to backup the snapshot volume -" /vol/volume name/.snapshot " using data protector 6.2, however the backup fails with the folloiwng message :-

[Normal] From: BMA-NDMP@chimp.bournemouth.ac.uk "Net App Tape Drive 2"  Time: 21/02/2012 19:06:13
  Starting dump backup of /vol/vol_staff/.snapshot on NDMP server 10.254.17.13.

[Normal] From: BMA-NDMP@chimp.bournemouth.ac.uk "Net App Tape Drive 2"  Time: 21/02/2012 19:06:14
DUMP: path /vol/vol_staff/.snapshot must refer to a specific snapshot name in ".snapshot".

[Normal] From: BMA-NDMP@chimp.bournemouth.ac.uk "Net App Tape Drive 2"  Time: 21/02/2012 19:06:20
General Exception: null

[Major] From: BMA-NDMP@chimp.bournemouth.ac.uk "Net App Tape Drive 2"  Time: 21/02/2012 19:06:20
[242:33]  NDMP Backup operation has failed.

Do anyone have any ideas please ?

2 REPLIES 2

crocker

Hi,

Since you have not gotten an answer, you may want to ask this question in the NetApp Support Community.  The current customers, partners and internal Subject Matter Experts are addressing technical product questions there.

Mike

sneil

Hello,

you can't just backup the ".snapshot" folder itself.  If you do a "snap list yourvolumenamehere" you will see the list of snapshots you can backup, then use the snapshot name in in the backup job path. i.e. /vol/yourvolumenamehere/.snapshot/yoursnapshotname

FYI- the dump error above is telling you what to do:

[Normal] From: BMA-NDMP@chimp.bournemouth.ac.uk "Net App Tape Drive 2"  Time: 21/02/2012 19:06:14

DUMP: path /vol/vol_staff/.snapshot must refer to a specific snapshot name in ".snapshot".

Hope that helps.

Kind regards

Neil Stanley

Public