ONTAP Discussions

How to best move filer practice for Datacenter with two plex for aggregate

andrea_annoe_iks

Hi to all,

I must move filer and disk shelf in a Metrocluster configuration.

For my experience I know two mode:

1. Split plex for every aggr in filer (that you shutdown) with command ">FILER_TOSHUT# aggr split aggrname/plexname new_aggr". Move filer and disk in new location. Rejoin plex with these command "aggr offline new_aggr", "aggr mirror aggr_name -v new_aggr"
  2. Shutdown filer, move it, and than power on in new site (if all component are mirror all will be online)

What do you prefer ? Solution 1 or Solution 2 ?

3 REPLIES 3

ANTON_MSSM

could somebody with the experience please chime in on this, because I also have a similar situation where I am going to be moving datacenters with plex aggrs.

billshaffer

Are you moving one side of a metrocluster?  Or both?  Or are the two sides at the same site?

If shutting everything down and moving it is an option, I would go that route.  In your description, I don't see the purpose of splitting and recreating the mirror.

Bill

ANTON_MSSM

Hi Bill, I have 2 filers that are clustered(active/active) and are mirrored aggregates, the goal is to move both of them to a new data center.

Is it possible to split aggr to break the mirroring and then move one filer with its disks without impacting the other filer ? Or does this move have to be in one shot where we move both filers and their disk shelves.

Public