ONTAP Discussions

How to create Windows volume (single Drive) with more than dedup LUN

jaroenntap

I've plan implement FAS2020 with SATA Disks 1TB x 12; created aggregate with RAID-DP 10+2 and then enable Data Deduplicate on volume with 1TB in each volume,

How can I create big volume on Windows (my customer need only one Drive) with many dedup volume?

and in case of copy data from windows to dedupe volume and in the system manager was show on percentage of deplicate, but why in the windows not showing on free space of save volume?

How to display volume detail same on FAS2020.

3 REPLIES 3

kvinay

Going through the requirement you have mentioned ,looks like the  user needs only one drive ,for this you can create a large volume and create a lun in that with the size which the customer wants so that when this is mapped and exposed to the host it looks like one big drive .Also deduplication acts on the volume and the space savings will be shown on the storage system and this will not be shown on the host or windows machine .To understand more on this please refer this link http://communities.netapp.com/docs/DOC-3247

Regards,

VInay

jaroenntap

Thanks for your help, so my customer need  only one drives with 5TB with dedplicate, how can i proposed?

and I can not to access on http://communities.netapp.com/docs/DOC-3247  it respond with  "Unauthorized"

Best regards,

jaroen t.

Darkstar

If you want dedup you can't create a single drive on the NetApp which is >1tb because the maximum volume size for dedup is 1tb as you already know.

You can, however, map 4 or 5 LUNs to the windows machine and use Windows software based RAID0 (striping) to concatenate these disks into one.

Note however, that for doing that you need to convert the disks to dynamic disks, and using dynamic disks with SnapDrive is not really supported. It works though.

I did have some small problems in the past with such a setup, namely that when using Software iSCSI LUNs, the stripe volume would always show up as "offline" after a reboot, you had to set it "online" manually (probably some dependency problem between the dynamic disk driver and the iSCSI service). And you most certainly can't take any snapshots with SnapDrive on this volume because it spans multiple LUNs.

-Michael

Public