Subscribe
hh

How to do an ossv-backup across domains?

[ Edited ]

Hi. We have a netapp unit in our domain, let's call it netapp2.foo.local . Now I want to do an ossv backup to a client on our WAN located at saxoserver.bar.local . The netapp unit sees the saxoserver ossv host(system status online, ndmpstatus is good etc), but when running a "create relationship" I get an error "cannot connect to source filer".

This was over a week ago, I then tried removing "check qsm access list" on the client and also adding an entry netapp2.foo.local to the saxoserver.bar.local's hostname . The "create relationship" now runs, but has managed to backup nothing ( 0KB )  for the last five days.

Any tips on how to best do an ossv backup across domains?

Re: How to do an ossv-backup across domains?

Did you check proper network access between local an remote? Is there a Firewall between both nodes, router ACL? Be sure to let port 10000 and 10566 through.

I'm also pretty sure there is a log file in C:\Program Files\netapp\snapvault\etc (or similar directory, if installed in different program dir). just post the error message, if any

hope it helps !

Michel

hh

Hi, thanks for the comment. Here is the log from C:\Program Files\netapp\snapvault\etc\snapvault :

[quote]

2010/09/20 15:15:09: ERROR       : Unexpected close getting QSM data

[/quote]

Unfortunately that's the only entry.

I also tried successfully pinging the netapp. Any ideas?

HH,

This sounds simply like a firewall issue. Please contact your netowrk security team to relax the ACL on port 10000 and 10566.

Domain should not come into play here.

hh

The netapp unit sees the saxoserver host ( located at 32.10.69.32 ) and there are no firewall restrictions between them. Note that we have several sites. I have been successfull in setting up a backup job over ossv on all of them, except this one which isn't in the same domain

I verified that the ports against the host are open, see nmap log below:

C:\Users\dabjoberapre>nmap -p10000,10566 32.10.69.32

Starting Nmap 5.21 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2010-11-24 09:23 W. Europe Standard Ti
me
Nmap scan report for 32.10.69.32
Host is up (0.0099s latency).
PORT      STATE SERVICE
10000/tcp open  snet-sensor-mgmt
10566/tcp open  unknown

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.63 seconds

C:\Users\dabjoberapre>32.10.69.32

So how do proceed now? :/