ONTAP Discussions

How to migrate a snapvault destination filer to a new filer that uses DFM.

kevinmajenta

What I’m trying to do is migrate a R200 snapvault destination filer to a new FAS3140 destination filer with the snapvault process being controlled by DFM .

I have snapmirrored all the data to the new filer  and given the new filler the old filers identity i.e. host name and IP address, but when you restart DFM it will not recognise the snapvault relationships  exist.

If I convert back to the old R200 as the secondary filler DFM sees the relationships.

Any thoughts of how I can solve this.

Many Thanks

Kevin

1 REPLY 1

reide

Which version of DFM?   Are you using DFM's older Backup Manager feature, or the newer Protection Manager?  

If it wasn't for the fact that you've got an R200, I'd suggest you use Protection Manager's "Space Management" feature.  I can automatically migrate a SV secondary volume from one controller to another and update the dataset so that its aware of it.

You could do the following:

1. Relinquish control of the SnapVault jobs from DFM.  The SV relationships are still there on the controllers, but DFM isn't controlling their schedule.

2. Use the instructions on how to migrate a SV secondary from one controller to another using SnapMirror:

http://now.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/ontap/rel734/html/ontap/onlinebk/GUID-C7AA0759-C0EE-4815-9775-7CB415860CF7.html

3. Once you've successfully migrated the volumes, import the SV relationships back into DFM.

Public