ONTAP Discussions

How to remove ownership from disks and verify afterward on ONTAP 7.0.6

ROOT_XENKU

I'm new to the NetApp seen so bare with me or walk with me for a bit.

At work a FAS 3020 (ONTAP version 7.0.6) was been recently decommissioned and it has 5 x Shelves of 144GB drives and 2 x Shelves of 300GB drives and all information there was moved to other filers/heads. I've already ran "boot_ontap" and then "CTRL+C" for special menu and did "Option 4" to zero all disks.

How can I see disk ownership because I've tried "disk show -v" and it doesn't work for me and I'm also in "priv set advanced" mode:

nameoffiler*> disk show -v

disk: Did not recognize option "show".

usage: disk <options>

Options are:

fail [-i] [-f] <disk_name>  - fail a file system disk

remove [-w] <disk_name>     - remove a spare disk

swap                        - prepare (quiet) bus for swap

unswap                      - undo disk swap and resume service

scrub  { start | stop }     - start or stop disk scrubbing

unfail <disk_name>          - make a failed disk a spare again

replace {start [-f] <disk_name> <spare_disk_name>} | {stop <disk_name>} - replace a file system disk with a spare disk or stop replacing

shm_stats [<disk_name>]     - Storage Health Monitor stats for a disk

zero spares                 - Zero all spare disks

sanitize { start | abort | status | release } - sanitize one or more disks

I've read somewhere else that if "disk show" command doesn't work then software ownership is not enabled/used?

I just want to make sure all disks/shelves are not owned by anything so that I can simply reuse these shelves/disks to be added to another FAS head/filer and when added to the new heads for it to go smoothly and be detected/configured without any problems since these shelves will be added in a production environment.

8 REPLIES 8

scottgelb

There is no ownership on these and is using the older hardware assignment... you could run "disk_upgrade_ownership" then go and unassign all the disks but that would be extra steps... with option 4 you do have a separate root aggregate though which will need to be destroyed later on the new system but should be able to assign these drives to a newer system... just be careful the ontap of the newer system and support for legacy shelves, modules and drives...for example no esh2 support on 8.1 and some older drives not supported either.

CCOLEMAN_

disk show -n will show you all the disks

Like Scott said, I would upgrade to 8.0.3 because ESH2 and earlier are not supported on 8.1 and I would put money on the fact that at least one of those shelves if not all have ESH2 or earlier.

then do "storage show disk" or "disk show -o nameoffiler" you should have at least three assigned if you zeroed disks out and installed Data ONTAP.

Reply back with any questions.

aborzenkov

“disk show -n” does not show all disks, it shows unowned disks. To see all disks use “disk show -v”. But it won’t work if disks have no ownership information anyway.

I do not think 8.x supports hardware based disk ownership, so the first step is to migrate from hardware to software.

CCOLEMAN_

Understood, but if he is trying to get a list of his disks now, he would need to run disk show -n to see them as he just zeroed them all out.

Later versions of 7.x didn't even support hardware based disk ownership so he will certainly need to upgrade to software based disk ownership per Scott's original response.

Sent from my iPhone

ROOT_XENKU

Ok, thanks for the help. Here is additional information the used 2x 300GB shelves will be added to a FAS 6070 head with NetApp Release 8.1 7-Mode. Correct me if I'm wrong but a FAS 3020 doesn't support NetApp Release 8.1 7-Mode correct? So my best bet will be to upgrade to 7.3.6 or 7.3.7 right?

mcope

Correct.  The FAS3020 and FAS3050 cannot run any version of ONTAP 8 so 7.3.7 is the last version you can install.

It's been a few years so my recollections are fuzzy, but I don't think software-based ownership was supported on anything except the FAS200 series until ONTAP 7.2.  This is probably why in 7.0.6 you're not seeing 'disk upgrade_ownership' listed as an available command.

mcope

If you initialize/convert the 300GB disks so they are unowned spares then you don't have to worry about hardware/software-based ownership.  Nor do you have to worry about RAID labels.  Spare disks disks, even owned ones, don't have a RAID label until they are added to an aggregate.

As an FYI, if you physically move an aggregate from a 7.3.system to an 8.x system, when the aggregate is brought online the RAID labels are automagically upgraded by WAFL.

ROOT_XENKU

I have attached the text of sysconfig -a as it is a lot of information.

Public