Subscribe

How to resize a snapmirror volume?

Hi Everyone,

Can someone point me to instructions on how to resize a SnapMirror volume?

We have a 600Gb volume that we are mirroring from a FAS2020 in SiteA, to a FAS2020 in SiteB for backup.

Today I had to resize the primary volume in SiteA as it was running low on space. However, when I try to resize the mirror of this volume in SiteB it gives an error because the volume is "read only".

I've heard that the correct way of doing this is disabling the mirror, change the read-only state on the SiteB mirror via the command line, resize the volume, mark it read-only again and then restart SnapMirror - any ideas on how to actually achieve this would be great!

(and there I was thinking I'd quickly resize both volumes and "hey presto" everything would take care of itself! ).

Thanks,

Marc

Re: How to resize a snapmirror volume?

Marc.

You cant resize the mirrored volume (read-only), You need to break the mirror and if you wish you can try that using FilerView for mirror break & volume resize.

Below the steps you can follow in this case

FAS2020 in SiteA, to a FAS2020 in SiteB

1) Break the mirror on FAS2020 in SiteB

2) Resize the volume of FAS2020 in SiteA

3) Resize the FAS2020 in SiteB backup Volume with same size of volume FAS2020 in SiteA primary volume

(You can keep the destination much higher in space.)

4) Backup volume FAS2020 in SiteB should be in offiline mode

5) Now Intialize the sanpmirror on FAS2020 in SiteB

Thanks;

Daniel Prakash

Hi Daniel,

I tried your steps but still the "mirror" of the volume in SiteB - even with SnapMirror disabled - says it's "read-only" and won't allow me to resize it.

How can I make the volume not read-only so that resizing is allowed?

It doesnt seem possible through the web GUI?

Thanks,

Marc

Marc,

Go to the command line and type "vol online volname". When you are done resizing, return the volume to a restricted state by entering: "vol restrict volname"

Hi Mike,

When I run this command it tells me that the volume is already online. I can take it offline/online using the web GUI - but either way it won't let me change it's volume size because it's marked as "read-only".

So, if vol restrict [volname] restricts the volume (which I guess is the same as read-only), then what is the opposite command to unrestrict it?

Sorry for the confusion.

Marc

This makes it seem like the mirror is not broken (?.. what does "snapmirror status" tell you) Just to be sure, you have done a "snapmirror break" (after a "snapmirror quiesce") on the destination system? Then did the vol online command. And still no luck?..

Hi Mike,

OK, it seems that I am getting a little further with this now (a guide would be great if anyone knows of one):

So it seems that I did not correctly "break" the mirror in SiteB (I simply disabled snampmirror instead of a quiesce then break).

I've now correctly broken the mirror and the state in snapmirror = "broken off". So I assume this part is now correct.

The volume in SiteB is now no longer marked as read-only, and can be taken online and offline fine. But now when I try to resize the volume I get this error message:

java.io.IOException: Failure resizing volume SM_BNK_Userfiles: Volume has a fixed filesystem size (fs_size_fixed)

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help so far.

Marc

Marc,

Can you please share the following answers

Check if SIS (Dedupe) is enabled on the primary volume ?

Which version of Data ONTAP release is running on the filer?

Thanks
Daniel

Both filers are running OnTap version: 7.2.4L1

(we will upgrade to 7.3.1 on the 19/02/09).

We are not running SIS on any of the volumes (the primary volume in SiteA, or the mirrored volume in SiteB).

Marc

Marc-

Please check if the  fs_fixed_size is turned off. If its off then change to on using the
following command

#vol options <volumename> fs_size_fixed on

After setting this try to resize the volume.

Thanks
Daniel