ONTAP Discussions

How to snapmirror from 7mode to CDOT/CMODE?

bbjholcomb

I was told that if we have OnTap 8.1.2 running on both clusters that we can snapmirror without VTW.

I tried to setup a peer from CDOT/CMODE to 7mode, it didn't work.

I searched the NOW site.

14 REPLIES 14

billshaffer

Not sure what VTW is, but when we were evaluating Cluster-Mode about 8 months ago as a replacement for one of our 7-Mode pairs, it all fell apart because (we were told by NetApp) you absolutely can not replicate between Cluster-Mode and 7-Mode except as a PS engagement accompanying a migration from one to the other.

Bill

parisi

VTW = Volume Transition Wizard

It is a tool used for migration from 7mode to cDOT clusters.

It is *not* a tool to be used for replication between 7mode and cDOT systems. There currently is no supported method of doing this.

I'd suggest you get clarification from the person who told you snapmirror between 7mode and cDOT was possible and make sure they meant 7mode to cDOT.

kevingolding

VTW is a tool that appears to be available to Netapp PS teams only.  It is an OFF-Tap piece of software that harnesses snapmirror to get the data FROM the source 7-Mode filer to a staging host, then snapmirror TO the CDOT cluster. 

From the documentation it seems to work very similar to the LREP tool.  I believe it is for CIFS and NFS only, however i am not sure why a product that supports only those protocols but that was the message I got.  for Block based protocols, I think the DTA appliance is the way Netapp are pushing..

I would contact your Netapp Partner, or Partner Manager to engage the Netapp PS teams.  There is a team in the UK called the CMET team, these are the experts in the migration of Data Ontap Modes.

davidrnexon

Hi, we are replicating between 7-mode system and cluster mode system, you cannot go the other way though.

You need to make sure that your snapmirror is type TDP and you need to setup a peer relationship.

I've created a tutorial on my blog to high light the steps involved along with a few Gotcha's that i've come across:

http://www.sysadmintutorials.com/tutorials/netapp/netapp-clustered-ontap/netapp-snapmirror-7-mode-to-cluster-mode/

bbjholcomb

I couldn't get this work until I added the vserver in the snapmirrror.allow on the source 7mode filer.. Is this something that needs to be done?

scottgelb

Correct. Source needs the allow.

Sent from my iPhone 5

bbjholcomb

What about the volume language on the source volume? Currently we don't set the volume language on the 7mode filers. Do we have to set the language to match the vserver setting? I believe that 8.2 allows us to create volumes with different languages which we could not do in 8.1 of cDOT.

scottgelb

Correct. 8.2 allows the Vserver to also change languages and the volumes do not have to match the Vserver. However we can't change the volume language once set like we can in 7mode. Not that we changed after in most cases but can't change now if required.

Sent from my iPhone 5

scottgelb

Volume to volume source to target language must match on a per volume basis.

Sent from my iPhone 5

kevingolding

thanks for the tip.  Is that a supported process though...?

parisi

Not supported.

davidrnexon

Actually, I believe it is supported as it comes straight from the netapp support site for transitioning

https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMP1213598/html/index.html (Under transitioning volumes manually)

parisi

Only for transitioning. Not for having a snapmirror from 7-mode to cDOT for DR purposes.

davidrnexon

Exactly, purely transitioning though you can still setup a schedule to constantly update the snapmirror until you are ready to cut over, not to be confused with setting up a snapmirror and leaving it running for DR

Public