ONTAP Discussions

How to upgrade ONTAP from 7.x to 8.0.2?

arunchak

HI,

I need the steps to be followed to upgrade ONTAP from 7.x to 8.0.2 and also the build location of ONTAP 8.0.2.

Thanks,

Arun

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

fahmed

Hi Arun,

I hope folllowing answers will help.

1.Upgradinbg from 7G to 8.0.2 7 mode:

The upgrade process of converting a filer running 7G to 8.0.2 consists of only three commands. No boot variables are needed during the conversion to 8.0.2 7mode.

NOTE: You must use the .zip extension and NOT the .tgz when going from 7G to 8.0.2.

1: software install <image path>

2: download

3: reboot

After the filer reboots, it might prompt you to update the firmware depending on the version of 7G you were running. If so then update the firmware at the LOADER prompt by issuing:

update_flash

Once the filer updates, and if autoboot is not enabled, you can boot the filer by:

boot_ontap

Your filer should now boot into BR.

2. You can take ONTAP 8.0.2 build from following location:

http://now.netapp.com/NOW/download/software/ontap/8.0.2/

Thanks & Regards,

Fahad Ahmed

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

fahmed

Hi Arun,

I hope folllowing answers will help.

1.Upgradinbg from 7G to 8.0.2 7 mode:

The upgrade process of converting a filer running 7G to 8.0.2 consists of only three commands. No boot variables are needed during the conversion to 8.0.2 7mode.

NOTE: You must use the .zip extension and NOT the .tgz when going from 7G to 8.0.2.

1: software install <image path>

2: download

3: reboot

After the filer reboots, it might prompt you to update the firmware depending on the version of 7G you were running. If so then update the firmware at the LOADER prompt by issuing:

update_flash

Once the filer updates, and if autoboot is not enabled, you can boot the filer by:

boot_ontap

Your filer should now boot into BR.

2. You can take ONTAP 8.0.2 build from following location:

http://now.netapp.com/NOW/download/software/ontap/8.0.2/

Thanks & Regards,

Fahad Ahmed

jakob_bena

hi,

if you have a netapp on web account. you can use "my autosupport" to get a step by step manuel, how to update your filer.

you can find it under : my support >> my autosupport >> lunch my autosupport.

regards

arunchak

Hi,

I have downloaded the build to my home directory. Isn't it possible to point it to that location?

Thanks,

Arun

fahmed

Hi,

Do a software install <web dir path>

You can also do software update <web dir path> to directly load your image as boot image.

Thanks & Regards,

Fahad

arunchak

Thanks all.

I was able to point web dir path. software install .

Thanks,

Arun

arunchak

I was able to upgrade successfully, but after the upgrade the ipconfiguration was reset on eth0. I had to run setup again to configure everything. Is this known behaviour?

ADAM_SEKORA

Hi Arun,

I would say this is not a common occurence. However, I would like to point back to jakob.bena's post on using upgrade advisor. By using the upgrade advisor found in my autosupport it will identify any potential problems such as this in addition to providing you a much more comprehensive and NDU instruction set.

I would say that this issue is most likely due to a misconfiguration in your /etc/rc (possibly due to newer syntax, tho unlikely). In my experience its always a good step before any filer reboot/upgrade to do a check of /etc/rc to make sure it matches your active network configuration.

Best Regards,

Adam S.

arunchak

HI Adam,

Thanks for the detailed explanation, will ensure to check /etc/rc when I upgrade the next time.

Regards,

Arun.

Public