Subscribe

In CDOT, is it disruptive to CIFS if I migrate/failover the LIF?

Hi all:

I just want to confirm. Will it be disruptive to active CIFS sessions if I failover/migrate the LIF?

Thanks,

MV

Re: In CDOT, is it disruptive to CIFS if I migrate/failover the LIF?

Yes in most cases. The only exception is continuous share, but I expect you'd knew if you had them Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]

TR 4100 covers this really well.. a really nice reference.  See page 6.  a LIF migrate and vol move are non-disruptive to SMB 2 and SMB 3.  lif migrate is disruptive only if SMB 1.0.  An aggregate relocate (from takeover/giveback or by command) is disruptive to SMB 2.0 though but not 3.0 with CA.

Thanks for that information. I understand that XP and 2003 uses smb1. If I enable smb signing, that should prevent smb1 connection to the SVM, correct?

or cifs modify / cifs options modify and disable smb1

Hi,

in CDOT,  I run

cifs modify -vserver <svm name>

it does not show an option to disable smb1

Good catch... You can disable 2 and 3 but only from advanced or higher privilege.. no smb 1 in there though.  The link to TR-4100 from the above reference is http://www.netapp.com/us/media/tr-4100.pdf

SMB signing can prevent smb1, but looks like a patch fixes that.  http://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=803058

scottgelb wrote:

TR 4100 covers this really well.. a really nice reference.  See page 6.

Page 7 is more interesting as it details conditions when LIF migration is really non-disruptive. It seems that SMB 2 or 3 alone does not gurantee it; there are situations when session may be lost.

I wonder if Windows is using durable handles by default (and in which versions). I could not find any explanation, but then I am not really Windows guy.

Judging by the fact that NetApp created a solution to make sure SMB1 will still work, I guess NetApp left it to the Windows environment to decide if they will eliminate SMB1 or not. Security engineers may not like this. lol